Thursday, February 11, 2016

Wobbly

I substituted at school today.   There has been a rash of illness and the school is down more teachers than they can accommodate.   Some teachers were ill themselves, others had children who were sick. I worked out a plan with my husband and mother to pick up my two children so I could substitute until the end of the day today.

I’m glad I did.   The teacher I was with is one of the school’s new hires.   She did a great job in my opinion but after the children had gone she confessed she had had a challenging day with the children.  I don’t know how these teachers do this particular level of school.   The children are fourteen months up to a little over two.   We had seven children and it took all we could do to keep them focused and working in the classroom.

The children did amazingly well considering their age, but they need a lot of help to sit at a table, set a place, put their food on a plate and then eat it.   Then there was the diaper changing and the nap time.   You’d think nap time would be a rest of the teachers too, but some of the children are fight going to sleep and by the time you get them all asleep, the first ones are waking up.

We had a good day overall and the children are very nice kids, they’re just children.    I had fun working with the other teacher and hope to substitute with her again.   Then, as I left, I realized I felt a little wobbly myself.    If I’ve caught this thing going around, it’s going to be tough, because I’m substituting again tomorrow.

The Big Boy Update:  My son worked on his valentines tonight.   He did made drawings on twenty-eight cards, each one of them different.   He could tell you exactly what he drew on each one.    Some were obvious while others were in the realm of five-year-old fantasies.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:    My daughter also worked on her valentines cards for tomorrow’s sharing at school.   She was working on drawing a heart (which she could do fairly well).   Then she wanted challenges from my husband and me on what to draw.    “A person with a green balloon” or “a cupcake and a flower” were some of the drawings she did.   I think she could have kept going and drawn a hundred cards, she was having so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment