Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Jack Sprat and His Icing Eating Sister

Tonight’s post is inspired by a comment my son made this morning at breakfast, which I’ll tell at the end.    As a preamble, we have two children who love birthday cake in this family, three if you could me.   They like birthday parties but telling them there’s a party may not always get their shoes and jackets on and out the door.   Telling them there’s a birthday party and there will be cake, is sure to do the trick though.

My children eat their birthday cake in two entirely different ways, even though they both seem to like the birthday cake equally.   My daughter eats all the icing off from the top, sides and middle if she can get in there and then leaves the cake part untouched.    My son, on the other hand, tries to get as much of the cake eaten while leaving the icing in place.   If it’s a slice of cake it looks like a capital letter ‘E’ when he’s done or in the case of a cupcake, the entire bottom is gone.

Neither child has once complained about any kind of cake whatsoever that I remember.   That includes type, filling, icing, color, shape, etc.   But they each prefer to eat the parts the like the best and leave the rest.

The Big Boy Update:  This morning for no reason I could discern this morning my son told me, “do you know what my favorite kind of cake is?  Muffins, because I don’t like icing.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was working with some coins the other day.  I was going to show her something but she was focused on her work, pausing only to tell me, “excuse me, I’m doing this money work.”

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny. It reminds me of me and Eric growing up. Eric loved meat and I loved vegetables (shocking). Eric would eat all the meat off his plate and leave the vegetables to the end. I would eat all the vegetables and leave the meat to the end. Some times we would switch if my mother was not looking. Sometimes I would slip mine to the dog! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete