Monday, February 15, 2016

When Hair Care Products Run

I stopped in to see my running buddy at her office over lunch last week.   Her office is literally “down the road” from the children’s new school.    And by literally, I mean one block.   Although perhaps it would be more correct to say our school is down the road from her office, since her building pre-dated our school by many years.    Either way, I was stopping by her office hoping to say a quick ‘hello’.

I text messaged her telling her I was just outside her waiting room.   This is the thing, she’s an obstetrician and those patients with the small human beings developing in their mother’s womb get priority over me, her neighbor, coming in to give her a, “gosh, I haven’t seen you in far too long”, hug.    Hence the waiting outside.

She texted me back, saying she was just driving up from lunch and to wait, she’d be up in a minute.     Sure enough, she came out of the elevator, looking elegant as always in her heels and dress.  I realized she’d just had her hair done because there was some dye on her forehead.    I would have never known about this, but she and I have been running together a long time and I’ve seen some interesting things happen with hair dye.

She is Korean, so her hair is black.  When she has it colored, the next day/wash cycle some of the dye comes off.   Supposing she had her hair colored on her Friday afternoon off and then she and I ran at 5:30AM the next morning?   I can tell you what happens: she sweats charcoal black.   The first time I saw it happening I thought something was dreadfully wrong.

So here is my friend in her lovely dress and heels, about to see patients and she’s got hair dye on her forehead.   I had to let her know so she could wipe it off before going into her office.    She smiled and said to me, “sweetie, it’s Ash Wednesday, I just came from church.”

Did I mention I had no Catholic friends growing up?  I felt so ignorant.   But I wasn’t done.   I further asked her if it was supposed to be sort of smeary and blobbed, because it looked like the priest didn’t have an eye for accuracy or neatness.   She told me that yes, it was supposed to look like that.  Well in that case, I told her, you look great.

How embarrassing.

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked my husband the other morning, “dad, could I give up breakfast for iPad?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter was sitting on the potty tonight and I was telling her she was the prettiest girl in the whole neighborhood.   She smiled so I told her she was the prettiest little girl with blonde hair in the entire city.    She looked thoughtful and then said, “you are the prettiest momma with a vagina.”

No comments:

Post a Comment