Saturday, February 13, 2016

Largely Ignored

I was out shopping today and I marveled at all the Valentines merchandising happening.   The grocery store flower section had overflowed into the produce area.   There were food and beverage suggestions all over the store to help with romantic evening plans.    I got my milk and cheese and headed on to the next store.

I had to pick up some things for the children’s school so I did several more stops.   There was emphasis on Valentine’s day everywhere, including Lowes, where I went to get some nail filler.  

We don’t celebrate Valentine’s day at our house.   We don’t not celebrate it, we just don’t make a big thing of it.   There is no candy and no flowers are bought or delivered.   We have too many stuffed animals and I don’t need any jewelry.  

We do tell the children about the holiday and they get excited about the Valentine’s day card exchange at school.    Yesterday the exchange happened but they weren’t allowed to look at their cards until they got home.   Bags are stapled shut with cards inside by the teachers in case of curious hands.   My children liked going through each of their bags last night.

Tomorrow we’ll remember to tell each member of our family how much we love them.   Ooo…and maybe I’ll get some candy on sale after tomorrow!

The Big Boy Update:  My husband and son were working on building a Lego model this morning when my son matter-of-factly said, “why does this one use two fucking swords?”   My husband said, “what did you say?”  My son replied in a questioning tone, “fucking?”  My husband explained how that word was a grown up word and he would be able to use it when he was older, but not now.   My son replied, “oh, I didn’t know; I’ve used it a lot.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter used a brailler machine at school on Friday.   Her visual impairment teacher helped her type her name on a piece of paper.   Then she got to bang away on the machine and make all sorts of letters.   Well, one letter mostly; whatever letter is six dots that look like a six-dot domino.   I was substituting in my daughter’s after school class on Friday.   I watched as she pulled out the paper and felt the bumps on it during the afternoon.   I think she enjoyed her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment