Sunday, February 28, 2016

The Motor Club Meet-up

There are more Tesla cars sold every month.   Before we bought ours I don’t think I’d ever seen one on the road.   After we had ours, seeing one a week was about average (and I was looking).   Now, only a year-and-a-half later, I commonly see multiple per day.   My husband told me there was a local group of Tesla owners that would be meeting after lunch on Saturday and did I want to go?

I called my mother to see if she could watch the children and we planned to go.   We didn’t know how many people would show up, but it was an opportunity to talk with other owners and discuss the company and cars.  

We arrived and watched as overall about ten Tesla cars pulled up.  Every car that arrived was a Model S car.   This wasn’t overly surprising: the Roadster only had about two-thousand ever produced and the Model X has probably had only about thousand delivered.  So here’s the interesting thing about our little group on Saturday: we all had the same car.

Yes, there were differences in color.   But you could see that and the leather color when the car drove up.   There were some wheel options also visible from the exterior.   The cars have had a variety of battery sizes and performance options, but you can tell that from the number and letter(s) on the back of the car and for the most part it’s just fast versus even-faster.   So what did we all do for the next two hours?   We stood around and talked.

Several owners popped open their trunks because they had the rear-facing child seats from Tesla Motors which are interesting and different from most car seat configurations.    Other than that we talked about when people purchased their cars and if they were pre- or post-autopilot hardware.   It was east to tell because you could look at the front of the car and see one of the sensors whereas on our car (pre-autopilot) we have a smooth span of plastic.  
The only “driving” of the cars was done via a) the key fob to “summon” the car towards them or b) via the phone app.   Oh, and then there were autopilot parking demonstrations: press the park button, select park forwards or backwards and exit the car while your car parks smoothly, cleanly and perfectly accurately between two other cars.

Every person we met was friendly and kind.  There were several couples and some with children (who were decidedly not as interested in the cars as the adults were.)   I think we’ll go back next meeting to see if anyone has a Model X because I’d love to get a chance to see one.

The Big Boy Update:  I don’t know what precipitated it but my son came into the kitchen this morning and said, “mom, I don’t want to move from this house.”  I told him we didn’t have any plans to, that we loved our house.   He said that was good because he wanted to live here forever.   I told him someday he might grow up and want to live somewhere else and had he thought about interesting places he might want to see?  He said, “what about the Statue of Liberty?”  I told him that was in New York and that would be a great place to see someday.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter played the teacher game with Mimi today.   She and Mimi did a lot of pretend play regarding school and teachers.   My mother remarked how my daughter has gotten much more interested in imaginative play lately.   I think it was about this time last year when my son, eleven months older, exhibited the same burst in his imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment