Sunday, February 14, 2016

Name That Dish

My husband likes to cook.   Most of the time he’s making something he’s made many times before.   Sometimes he’s making a dish he’s looked up and is following a recipe.   And then some of the time he’s just winging something, using some guidance from various recipes he’s read and then making decisions on ingredients, seasonings and cooking steps once he gets started.   Tonight he made one of those dishes.

Some of these dishes are good.   I can tell you this though, my husband thinks they’re all good.   And to him I suppose they should be—he made the dishes, putting into them all the things he likes.   Of course he likes them.   I’m not as easy a sell.   Some of them I like, some of them are fine but I wouldn’t request a second time and every now and then there’s one I don’t care to have again.  

Tonight my husband made a dish that he ran into trouble with.   It wasn’t a flavoring trouble, it was an ingredients-type of trouble.   It was the kind of trouble you can only correct by adding more of one thing which causes you to need to add more of another thing.   In the end we had a lot of dinner.   The good news was everyone liked and wants to have it again.   This is a good thing, because with all the leftovers we have, we’re going to be seeing it again very soon.

When my husband makes a dish we want to have again, usually we name it.   Well, commonly I name it because it’s hard to refer to a recipe by ingredients alone.   There is one of our favorites, “Boring Chicken” and then there’s “Chicken Ginger Pow” which is great if you like super hot, but would go over poorly with the children.

Tonight, I asked the children if they wanted to help name dad’s dish.  We explained how commonly a dish name has some of the ingredients in it.   We told the children what items were in the recipe (chicken, mushrooms, rice, edamame beans).    My daughter thought about it and yelled out, “banana poppers!”  

We could never get them to come up with a name other than something silly or outrageous.    We may have to stick with Banana Poppers if we don’t come up with an alternative.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband got a toy light saber.   He’s working on a project with my son which involves him videoing my son wielding the light saber around the basement.   As you can well imagine, my son is only happy to oblige.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter asked me the other morning in the car, “do you know what my favorite number is?”  I knew her favorite color (green) but this was the first I’d heard about her having a favorite number.   I said I didn’t know.   She replied, “ten-thousand”.

Fitness Update:   It seems like I’m only exercising once each week of late.   It must be winter.   Today I went to the fitness room for close to two-and-a-half hours.   I broke my favorite multi-use machine on which I do a lot of upper body exercises.   I was about to do the first exercise when I pulled down and heard a large snap, followed by the interconnected cabling in the machine all going slack.    The cable had snapped at one point.   I sent an email to the property management company, hopefully it will be back up next week.   In the absence of the machine, I did a lot of cardio.

No comments:

Post a Comment