Friday, February 26, 2016

Out or In?

My cousin and I were talking the other day after we’d been to the fitness room.   As we stood in the kitchen talking we realized we had something in common: we’d both rather go out for dinner than eat in.   I find going out to dinner so easy: you drive somewhere, place an order, food arrives at your table and then someone else cleans it all up.   There are no dishes or pots and pans to wash and the leftovers are minimal if you order the right amount of food.

My husband, on the other hand, prefers to eat in.   Eating in, and more to the point, cooking, eating in, cleaning up and storing leftovers is what he prefers.   In part, it’s because he likes to cook.   He likes to cook and even experiment with cooking new and different things.   It just seems like so much work to me.  The amount of effort involved in doing all the things associated with getting ingredients at the store, making a recipe, serving it, cleaning up the dishes and cookware and putting the kitchen back to rights is far more effort mentally than driving to some friendly restaurant, or so it seems to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my husband’s cooking, it’s just sometimes I want to go out.    And sometimes he just doesn’t want to go out.   I suppose it’s a good balance: we eat out and in in equal measure.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has very little interest in drawing.   He’ll doodle zombies on thank you cards, but he doesn’t show much interest in translating something three-dimensional into a two-dimensional representation on paper.   He is more interested in three-dimensional things like blocks, Legos or any other building tool.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been doing a lot of drawing lately.   She has a remarkable memory for what things look like.   Or at least we think she does since she can’t see anything clearly from more than two inches away.   She can tell you exactly what she’s drawn too, and much of it, while crude, does look like what she was aiming to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment