Thursday, February 25, 2016

When They Say Those Things

I always think of Art Linkletter’s “Kids Say The Darnedest Things” when I do one of my kids-only posts.   Tonight I have several things they’ve said lately that have made me laugh (or cringe), so here goes:

The Big Boy Update(s):
My son was eating pasta last week and he was having a challenging time keeping the spaghetti on his fork.   He was pretty hungry and not being able to get the food into his mouth fast enough was making him irritable.   He complained loudly, “why does nothing listen to me!”

There have been a lot of Legos around over the past several weeks.   My son has his own little table downstairs now, covered in Legos.   He had been happily working for a long time on something when he came in and told me he’d built something with his Legos.   I asked, “can I see it?”  He thought about it for a second and then said, “I’ll go repair it” and then left.

I got a replica of the metal spinning top from the movie Inception the other day.  My husband and I were spinning it and were busy marveling at how long it would spin before falling.   One of us said, “that is the best top ever”  My son looked over at the thing on the counter and said, “no, it’s the best bottom ever.”

Before Tae Kwon Do this evening we put on Star Wars for my son.   My mother was in the room with him so she started reading the scrolling words out since he can’t yet read.   After a bit my son said, “all of those words are just making me exhausted.”

The Tiny Girl Episodic Chronicles:  
<Mental Image Warning> My daughter was on the potty this morning.   I asked if she was finished (so I could wipe) and she told me no.   This went on for several more queries from me.   Finally she said, “mom, I think my butt’s empty.”

On the way to school my daughter decided to read a book to us.   She “reads” books by telling us a story, usually something currently on her mind.   The title of this book was, “I’m In Charge of My Body”  (Guess who had just gotten in trouble and this was the reprisal message?)

And on the not so funny side, last night while I read a story to my son my daughter wasn’t paying attention.  Normally I’d ask her to sit on the bed with us and listen, but in this case I read on and watched.   She was taking a grey stuffed animal and throwing it up in the air and watching where it landed.   She is a terrible thrower, having very little control at all over direction and distance.   But she was able to find the grey small animal on the cream carpet every time.   I hope this is a good sign.  

No comments:

Post a Comment