Thursday, January 14, 2016

When Seventy Isn’t Seventy

I have been cold.   I have been unexpectedly cold lately.   I’m cold right now in the basement as I write this.   I know it’s been more winter-like lately and the temperature outside has dropped well into the double layer jackets stage, but I’m inside right now and it’s not cold in here.

When I first started feeling cold I would go over to the new thermostat to check out how cold it had become.   I would discover the temperature wasn’t cold at all in the house, it was in fact right within the temperature range we had configured.   It was positively clement in the house.   After this happened a few times I thought I’d better check again because maybe it was the humidity instead that was causing all the not-cold cold feelings I was having.  But that wasn’t it either; our house was right in the middle of the “most comfortable range of humidity”.

The temperature we keep the house at during the cold months is slightly cooler than what we keep it during the hot months, but it shouldn’t account for how cold I’ve been feeling.   I’m wearing more clothing now so even a few degrees shouldn’t make me feel so cold I want to huddle around a hot cup of tea and then take a steaming bath to get un-chilled.

Wait a minute, could it be the windows?   Could I be cold from being near windows?   No, can’t be.   My bed is in the middle of the room and I’m under covers there.   I spend a lot of time in the middle of rooms or walking around rooms or holding on to hot cups of tea as I move from room to room in my boots, sweaters and vests.    The air seems to flow about a reasonable bit because I can walk around and not feel a drop in temperature as I go from place to place.

So I don’t know what’s going on.   Maybe if I do a search on the World Wide Web I might find some answers.   I will say though that I’m not the only one having problems; although it seems not all of our problems are the same.  My husband told me last night, “did you change the thermostat settings?  I have been hot a lot lately.”

The Big Boy Update:  My son had his five-year-old wellness check today.   At the end they gave him two immunization shots.   He was fine throughout the quick process but he was angry at the end.   He told the nurse angrily as she left, “I’m gonna go to another doctor! … To get that blood back!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter likes to play on our keyboard.  It’s old and it’s big and it’s big trick is the “DEMO” button that plays a very fancy acoustic version of Paula Abdul’s “The Way That You Love Me”  which was all the rage when I bought the keyboard at least twenty years ago.   My daughter went to Mimi’s house not long ago and they did some playing on Mimi’s piano.   When they were done, my daughter looked around and then asked Mimi, “how do you turn it off?”

No comments:

Post a Comment