Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Power On Channel

The power on channel on our television is set to Disney Jr.   It’s been set to that for a number of years now because we can turn on the television and whatever comes on isn’t going to be an axe murdered shown on the news or a torrid sex scene from a movie rerun.    It’s not going to be a crocodile tearing the head off a gazelle or people shooting each other in a bloody firefight.    It’s safe.

It’s also the channel most likely to have a show on it my children would want to watch and let’s be serious here, most of the time we turned on the television in the last few years in our living room was to sit the small little members of our family in front of it so we could cook dinner or let the dryer repair man in and answer the questions about why it was broken again or help out a parent with a computer question that needed us to be downstairs.    That, or we just wanted a break as parents.

Regardless the reason, it’s been the power on station for so long I have no idea what channel was default before.   Recently, with my daughter’s inability to watch television because it’s not two inches from her face and my son’s interest in making his own selection on the iPad from PBS Kids, Sprout or Netflix Kids, we haven’t really been using the power on channel.   I tried it the other day.   I turned on the television and walked away.   Zero of our children even came in to see what was on.   Before they would have both dropped anything and sprinted to the living room because television was so high value to them.

I tried and I failed though.    I tried several different channels and then came back over the course of the holidays to turn on the television.   Every time the show was either not appropriate for children or made me question why I selected the network in the first place.    I couldn’t find a channel that worked for me.

So I gave up.   Disney Jr. isn’t a channel for me, but I suppose I’m just used to it by now.   Maybe I’ll try again next year…

The Big Boy Update:  My son worked on his thank you cards for both his birthday presents and Christmas presents while my husband and I took my daughter to Detroit earlier this week.   You may have one coming in the mail.   When it arrives, be forewarned and brace yourself—there may be zombies drawn on your thank you card.   My mother helped him know who each card was for.   She told me on the phone, “he’s been enjoying drawing zombies.”   Thank you zombies: coming to a mailbox near you.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and I had one of those pronunciation discussions today.   I explained the word was ‘brek-fust’.   She said, “it’s not called that, it’s called ‘breaf-flest’.   I don’t know how she double pronounces the f’s, I can’t say it the way she manages to every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment