Sunday, January 3, 2016

Eat More Fruit. Love, Mom

Every year we get some fruit from my in-laws for Christmas.   It’s typically oranges, this year we got some grapefruit as well (I adore grapefruit).   My in-laws were here during Christmas and each morning they prepare a bowl of fruit.   They always do this.   They have the ability to get just the right amount for the number of people in the household.   It’s always nice to wake up to a bowl of cut up fruit to go with breakfast.

I wasn’t always as interested in fruit.   I’d even say six months ago I was less into fruit than I am now.   I’ve been trying to eat more non-processed foods, more natural sugars and overall just make better food choices.    As a result, fruit looks a lot more appetizing to me now than it used to.

We have two bowls of fruit in our kitchen right now and it all will get eaten.   Our house wasn’t always so fruit-filled.   While my in-laws were here for Christmas, my mother-in-law mentioned something about the card that went along with the fruit when it was mailed.   She said she ordered it over the phone each year and every person she sent the fruit to she would give a little message to go along with it.  

This year when she got to ours she told the man on the phone, “I usually put, ‘Eat more fruit. Love, Mom.’  This year I think he’s gotten the message.”   The man on the phone laughed and told her he thought that was a great message.

We have been eating more fruit.   Thanks for the good advice, Nana.

The Big Boy Update:   My son is in one of those phases where he says funny things all day long.   For instance, this morning he was doing something on his iPad.   He looked at it for a second and said, “you’ve got to be kidding me, iPad.”   Then tonight at dinner at a restaurant he was watching a football game on a screen across the room.   He casually said, “this is Kyle’s favorite show.”   (His cousin Kyle is the kicker on his high school football team.)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We depart for Detroit tomorrow morning.   My daughter vacillates between absolutely not wanting to go and being happy about taking a trip and seeing her doctor.   Hopefully this will be an easy trip for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment