Saturday, January 2, 2016

Not All The Time

I wrote a post a while back about how most emotions last ninety seconds or less.   Some emotions can be very strong, especially those associated with infatuation and particularly those surrounding grief.   Sometimes it can feel like we’re stuck in an emotion and it feels like it will go on forever, with no happy thoughts ever coming again.    Those feelings are tough (or intoxicating in the case of the infatuation/love ones).

It’s typically those strong emotions that seem to be the subjects of song writers and poets.   Find something gut wrenching or euphoric and write a song about it.

It was about the time we got a depressing vision prognosis our first day in Detroit that I wrote a poem, potentially a song my mother and I would work on together.   I’m going to post it as the next blog post.   I wanted to introduce it here though, saying it was how I felt right then, not how I feel minute to minute and day to day.   Sure, I have crappy nights like last night (if you read my blog post, you’ll know what I’m talking about.)  Overall though, it’s not how I feel all the time.

The Big Boy Update:   At dinner tonight with my parents my son did something cute and we laughed.   He replied, “I’m five, don’t laugh at me!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I tricked, I mean asked my daughter to do a test, I mean game, in the bathroom tonight with the lights out…for candy.   Oh, candy?  Sure, sounded good to her.   Especially since it was for Pez, her favorite.   I put a cloth patch (the bandage kind used for lazy eyes) on her good eye.   I turned out the light and used a pen light to see if she could see light or dark.   She could see light.   She could tell when it moved.   She could see the red laser light when it was near her (no, not in her eye, sheesh.)   She was able to tell if the light was turning on and off and if and how it was moving.    I got the theater light gels and shined the light through them and she could tell each of the colors.    I was getting pretty excited.   I am still pretty excited, but my husband wonders how much she could see through the patch.  I tried it and I could see some, but I don’t know that she was using the left eye.   I asked her afterwards which eye she was seeing the light with and she told me the right eye.   I am still hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment