Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Place to Play

We are fortunate to have several families close to us that have similarly-aged children to ours.  Our children have gotten old enough now that we can leave them alone for periods of time both inside and outside without worrying overly much.    We also don’t worry if they disappear because they’re usually at one of the houses on either side of us.   Typically, as parents we keep in touch via text message, letting the other know we have their children.

I’ve noticed recently that it seems we have children playing at our house more than we have our children playing at their friend’s houses.   I’ve wondered about it some.   Is it because we have the coolest house with the best toys and the most delicious snacks?   I don’t think it is.  

I think it’s in part because one of the neighbor’s daughters is older and she has the initiative to come and find our children when she’s done with her homework.   My children haven’t quite gotten to that point yet where they think through options for an afternoon and then take action.  

We’ve been encouraging them to go and see if their friends want to play when they’re not sure what they want to do or seem bored.   Regardless though, it has been very nice having lots of little children romping around the house, laughing and playing.

The Big Boy Update:  My son said to me today, “Mom, can you put the Lady Gaga radio station on Alexa?”   We have an Amazon Echo in our kitchen.  You can ask questions starting with “Alexa…”.  My son knows Alexa can play music.   Sometimes it’s Elvis Presley’s Blue Suede Shoes.   Today he was apparently in the mood for some Lady Gaga though.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was at the dollar store today and noticed they had a whole rack of reading glasses.   To do an experiment, I got my daughter some +2.0 reading glasses and some +3.25 ones.   I told my daughter I had two pair of glasses for her to try.   She tried the +3.25 ones and said I looked bigger.   Then she tried the +2.0 ones and immediately liked them better.   She wore them for the rest of the night.   I have no idea what we’re on to, but magnification does help her it would seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment