Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Seeing Through the Blur

We don’t know what my daughter can see and what she can’t.   We don’t know what the right eye is able to discern and if the brain is even paying attention to the signals that eye is sending.   We have no idea if her view is cloudy or blurry or clear.    She can’t tell us and so we’re all doing our best to help her eyes with the information we can tell.

Yesterday while I was in the waiting room during my son’s EUA procedure I was on the phone standing by the large windows.   I hadn’t noticed before, but the windows were occluded by small circles.   I could see the construction, the office building and the parking lot, but it wasn’t “clear”.

The windows looked normal from the waiting room seats across the room, which was interesting with all those dots.   I walked away from the windows and the further I walked backwards, the more clear the outside scape became.    It struck me as interesting how the eyes can make clear images out of things, even when there are visual obstructions in the way.  

Here’s a picture of the dots on the windows,  installed to reduce brightness and glare:


The Big Boy Update:   My son had some strong feelings after Tae Kwon Do tonight.  In the car going home he was so upset he wasn’t getting his ridiculous way he told me, “nobody in the world is being nice to me except Nana and Papa.”   (He hasn’t seen Nana and Papa in a month.)   He got home and his mood and attitude didn’t improve until right at the end of dinner when my husband accidentally spilt a bowl of rice on the floor.   As my husband frantically tried to get the rice away from the dog my son calmly kept telling dad, “I still love you.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter excels at being the most pleasant, friendly and helpful child when her brother is losing his mind and getting in trouble as a result.   She clearly knows she’s doing it, but it’s hard not to find her charming when she’s being the perfect child just because he’s not.

Fitness Update:   I ran five-ish miles today.   There was some stopping, bandaid delivering and neighborhood tech support that got in-between the last mile, but I think that’s about right.   After the snow and ice, it was just nice to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment