Monday, January 25, 2016

Completely Normal

I’ve written a lot of posts about my daughter’s eyes over the past months.   Today, for a change, I’m going to write about my son’s eyes.  

Dr. Trese suggested our doctors here check my son’s eyes to see if he presented with any of the congenital malformations shown in my daughter’s eyes.    We were fairly certain there wasn’t anything wrong, but after all that my daughter has, is and will be going through it was prudent to check it out.

Last week he had a pre-op screening and an in-office visit to our pediatric ophthalmologist.   He saw well, he passed tests, his eyes looked great with her in-office equipment and from what we could all guess, he didn’t share in his sister’s eye issues.  

Today he had an EUA to confirm all was normal.   He waited very, very patiently for hours.   There were several other cases that had to go first and even at two-thirty in the afternoon without a thing to eat since dinner the night before, he waited patiently.   He was good with the three rounds of eye drops, even though he didn’t like them and they stung.

When he finally went back he walked with them and breathed in the mask to fall asleep.   Shortly later our retinal surgeon came out and said everything was, “completely normal”.    Can I tell you I’ve never been so happy to hear the words, “completely normal”?

He was similar to his sister on the recovery side, becoming Captain Cranky.   His level of irrational was pretty much off the scale.   With the help of a very kind nurse I got him into the car and thankfully he fell asleep on the way home.   When he awoke, he ate an entire adult meal of nuggets and fries.

So his eyes are fine.   Next, we need to get my daughter’s eyes on an upswing in vision.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way to the hospital today my son was going over numbers.   He told me when he was seven his sister would be six.    He told me when he was twenty, she would be nineteen. He got hung up when he got to one hundred.   He thought about it for a bit and figured out she’d be ninety-nine when he was a hundred years old.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to do a puzzle today given to her by her cousins.   You put shapes into a bag and as you pull them out you try and match them into an inset matching their shape.   She can do the whole set of twenty by herself, although it takes her longer than a sighted person would take to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment