Sunday, October 20, 2013

I Swear, They Don't Care

I'm back on the potty training again.  And by that, I mean I'm back to complaining about it.  I've heard all sorts of stories from other parents about how their little darling up and decided in a single day to potty train and never needed a diaper again, including overnight.  I've heard stories about how their little man was so set against it, the parents were worried they'd be buying adult-sized diapers and still be training.

My children are somewhere in the middle.  My son has no problem going to the bathroom.  He doesn't always want to go when you ask him to, because he's busy doing something.  When he's focused, things happen.  Today, things happened several times and I got so annoyed that I told him he didn't get any more pants because he had peed on too many.

If he's not engrossed in something, he knows he has to go and he'll go without anyone asking--including in the morning before we get up to the room to get ready for the day.  He's good during naps...sometimes.  Overall, he likes being dry, but he doesn't particularly mind being wet.  He doesn't mind nearly so much as we do because he doesn't have to do the laundry.

My daughter loves going on the potty and is successful almost every time.  But she's not particularly motivated to go if she's not asked.  She's not trustworthy in underwear when we go out, so she's getting a mixed message of underpants and pull-ups.  She's trying, but she's not there yet.

If they didn't like being wet, it would be one thing, but I don't think they care.  They rarely let us know they need new pants.  So, the potty training battle continues in our house.

The Big Boy Update:  "I'm going to the fair."  The state fair is happening this week and my son was excited to go today.  He ate lots of food, rode a few rides that he was just barely tall enough for at thirty-six inches, and ran around looking at all the colors and lights and exciting fair things.  He had a good time.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  "WALK........A.......WAY!"  My son started the "walk away" thing months ago.  It was an appropriate way to tell another student that this work was his and that he didn't want to share it.  However, it's turned into a much bigger thing in our house and we've been working on how to handle inappropriate usage of the phrase.  My daughter, when very mad, will yell it to whoever has upset her (usually her brother) with very long pauses in between each syllable.

No comments:

Post a Comment