Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Does Pale Look Like Old?

At this point there's enough evidence to show that sun exposure can cause long-term damage to our skin.  And yet people still like to get a tan.  I like being out in the sun during the warmer months and I also like the resulting tan.  I don't like to burn, but I like "a little color."

There still seems to be an association with "healthy" that you get from sun exposure.  My father will be glad to share the sun screen lecture with my multiple times in the summer, but he will also tell me I look good when I've got a bit of a tan.  I don't think he realizes he's making that connection consciously, but it's happened enough times now that it's not a coincidence.

It hasn't been summer weather for a while now and I've retired my swim suits for the winter.  I was looking in the mirror today and I decided I was looking old.  And yet not much has changed between now and last year that should make me think that.  In contrast, in the early months of summer when I'm back outside in shorts getting sun on my arms and face, I seem to fee like I look better, younger, more healthy. 

Do I have a sub-conscious connection with sun-tanned skin to youth and health?  When did I get this connection and was it related to the media or the social situation of my youth when sun screen and sun damage weren't thought of as much?

The Big Boy Update:  Thirty-six inches tall.  Or almost.  That's how tall you need to be to ride the kiddy rides at the fair.  My son practiced being "very tall" and was able to ride several rides without an adult.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Angry to be excluded.  We were at the fair this weekend and my son was just tall enough to ride the rides.  My daughter was several inches too short.  This made her angry.  She tried to climb the gate on one of the rides to get on with her brother.

Fitness Update:  Half marathon run with Uncle Jonathan and my neighbor.  She had to join us after we'd started and leave us early due to her schedule and I almost made us late because I wanted to run more than the target twelve miles we'd set out to run.  After showering, we went to the state fair and ate until we couldn't eat any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment