Monday, December 17, 2012

What Gets Done In Bed

No no no.  This is not a naughty post.  Shame on you for thinking that.  This is about the amazing smart phone revolution.  The amazing, completely accepted and expected smart phone revolution.  Like many other people around the globe, I don't know what I would do if this one tremendously useful and flexible tool were taken away from me.

Let me give you an example of a common night and morning with my smart phone...

I get in bed and before I go to sleep I check my email.  I might have checked it a few hours ago, but some people write emails late and some of those emails might affect what I'll be doing first thing in the morning.  If I need to reply, I can reply without getting out of bed by simply using the phone's touch keyboard.

If I need to set an alarm or reminder for the morning I can do it right then.  Speaking of the morning, I'd better check my calendar.  My calendar is synced with both my husband's calendar and the children's school calendar so while I'm checking my own schedule, I can see other calendars that affect me as well.  Good, now I'm prepared for tomorrow.

Oh wait, I wanted to run in the morning.  Let me use my phone to text my neighbor and see if she's up for a morning run.  Now I can settle down to read my e-book (on my phone of course) and fall asleep.

Dingle dingle dingle... What's that sound?  It's my neighbor replying in the middle of the night via text because her husband's just let her know he'll be able to leave the hospital early (he's a doctor) and she'll be able to run at 5:45.  I respond with, "Hooray!  See you soon." and immediately fall back asleep happy.

Alarm goes off and before I get up I'd better check a few things.  Pull up the smart phone and check the weather.  It's important to make sure you know if it's raining buckets (and therefore send a run cancellation text message to your neighbor) and the general temperature so you know how warmly to dress.

Emails?  It's a good time to check because hey, why not.  But bring your iPhone 5 with you because you need it for your run.  There is a great app that tracks my run, integrates with my heart rate monitor and keeps statistics on how many, "burgers burned" and trips to the moon I've made via exercise.  As I prepare to run I turn off the house's security system and my phone goes, "bleepety bleep," letting me know a message has arrived from the security monitoring company and that my house has been disarmed.

Off to my run and I immediately forget what an invaluable tool my phone has been in planning, preparing and tracking my day's activities.  I wonder what technological advancements we'll have in the future and what I'll think about the, "pitifully barbaric phone features" we have in 2012 if I were to read this post in 2022?

The Big Boy Update:  Pockets.  I remember almost three years ago when my husband and I went to deliver cookies to my neighbor (the one I run with.)  She was telling him how she just found out she was pregnant and I wasn't listening because her two-year-old daughter was explaining, very excitedly, how she had pockets.  When I realized we were both pregnant with virtually the same due date I was very excited.   But back to the pockets.  My son, now two himself, has decided pockets are such a great feature in pants.  He wants to put things in his pockets day and night, even if he doesn't have pockets and we have to fudge it by putting an item in his elastic waist band. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Snack time?  This morning I had to drop her off at school very early.  She was happy to be in her classroom but she didn't want Pearl, her favorite teacher, to hold her.  When Pearl put her down she went straight for the tables and chairs—tables and chairs that are the perfect toddler height—and her teacher said, "Do you want a snack already?"  She was happily pulling out the mini-chair and trying very hard to sit down in it so she could have some snack.  It was time for me to leave the classroom, but I had a hard time leaving.  I wanted to watch her working on sitting in the chair.  When I left, she had managed to get the chair out, but she wasn't sure about the sitting down so she decided standing on the chair was a good compromise.

Fitness Update:  Weigh-in day and I've been trending upwards.  Trending upwards and maintaining a target weight several pounds higher than my original goal due to exercise and hopeful additional muscle mass.  This week I was lower than my target weight.  I had a wonderful breakfast to celebrate.  I ate so much I wasn't even hungry at lunch.  

Someone Once Said: The captain of a ship doesn’t have to explain why she gives orders. Or does she? Of course not. Oh, a captain sometimes does explain. But she shouldn’t do it often or the crew will start thinking they are entitled to explanations. In a crunch, this can kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment