Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Finger Crack

My hands are dry from the winter weather and I've been having trouble with the cuticle skin and general nail strength.  I've also had several of my non-pregnant, exceptionally weak nails tear well below the quick line.  On one finger this is no fun, but on three it's downright annoying.  I've got multiple fingers in pain that are going to remain uncomfortable for at least another week or two.

Then to top it off, I must have hit my thumb just right because I cracked a vertical line down the tip of my left thumb.  Cracks in skin are never fun.  Cracks in a location you use constantly, all the time, way more than you realized you ever used your thumb, are even more frustrating.  Box of band aids on stand by.

The other thing I didn't realize was just how often I got my hands wet.  Pre-babies I washed my hands, but I wasn't cleaning up after children all day, wiping noses, cleaning their hands, making meals, refilling juice cups, getting my thumb wet in every possible way I didn't expect basically.

That box of band aids was rapidly being depleted and the crack was re-cracking and bleeding.  In desperation I brought out the crazy glue.  Glue your thumb closed?  Why yes, you can do this and it works well.  It's finally healing and not making me grimace every time I hit it or touch it and better yet, I don't have to wear a band aid.

My father just suggested I get some "New Skin" from the pharmacy as it's a little more pliable than crazy glue.   Now if I can just get my nails to stop tearing.  I'd love to have a day where none of my fingers hurt.

The Big Boy Update:  "Sheh sheh"  He knows the American Sign Language sign for "finished" and he frequently uses it.  He can say, "finished" now too, but it sounds an awful lot like, "sheh sheh."  My husband said he knew that meant something like, "thank you" or, "you're welcome" in another language and I agreed, it sounded somehow Asian and familiar.  We looked it up yesterday and yes, my son is saying "Thank you" in Chinese.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Opposite tastes.  She will eat most things, but some things are a definite no for her.  For instance, she dislikes grapes and won't touch mandarin oranges.  She thinks cereal is great but will spit out oatmeal and shove the spoon away.  In both of these things, her brother is the exact opposite.  He loves grapes and will consume a container of mandarin oranges so fast you want to check his lap to see if he dumped them there.  He also thinks oatmeal is one of the best foods out there.  I mention her dislikes because she is such a flexible eater that it's interesting to note the few things she does dislike.

Fitness Update:  Seven miles today and we have a new morning runner.  She's just doing a bit of running as she has a badly damaged ACL from junior high school, but it's fun to have someone run with us for any portion of the run.

Someone Once Said:  But I never slap anyone; a woman who takes advantage of her size and sex to slap a man is herself no gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment