Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Pitcher and The Moles

I'm home from the hospital with not one, but three abscesses removed.  For a hospital stay, it was pretty nice.  But hospital stays aren't ever that fun and I am very glad to be home.

I drank a lot of ice water while I was lying in bed.  The nice nurses would refill my pitcher  regularly and I was pretty thirsty after the anesthesia.  As I looked at the pitcher I thought back to probably thirty years ago, in the same hospital, looking at a very similar pitcher.

My mother decided to go in and have some moles removed.  I'm not sure why she needed to be in the hospital to have moles removed.  It could have been a time of medical overkill.  Nowadays they'll kick you out of the hospital if they're fairly sure you can limp to the car well enough on your own.  Which for me is just fine.  I prefer my own bed.  It doesn't inflate and deflate on me and there is no pesky IV line to attend to.

I remember asking my mother if everything was going to be all right and she assured me it would be.  I also remember the nice plastic pitcher beside her bed.  It was so nice and pepto-bismally pink.  She came home after the procedure and guess what, she brought the pitcher home with her.  They said it was hers to have.  I couldn't believe it; a hospital stay and a free picture?  How much better can life get?

Interestingly enough, I don't think the designs of those pitchers has changed much.  The one in my room had a nice lid that wouldn't pop off when all the ice went "thwunk" as it flew forward when you were pouring a glass.  Other than that they were pretty similar.  And apparently, they were included as I saw the nurse throw mine away when I was packing up to go.

The Big Boy Update:  Donald Messy.  Interesting assessment by my son as he watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse the other day.  He saw Donald Duck fall into some mud and then told daddy, "Donald messy."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Not so sleepy.  She had a bad night last night and wouldn't go back to sleep early this morning.  School called and said she couldn't stay awake so daddy went to get her.  Just as he was picking her up she was having snack--a snack that refueled her so she was awake until almost the end of the regular school day.  Tonight she's asleep on time.  Hopefully she'll sleep through the night.

Someone Once Said:  "There’s little difference.” “There’s always a difference! This is between ‘bad’ and ‘worse’—which is much sharper than between ‘good’ and ‘better.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment