Friday, September 21, 2012

The Leftover Blues

I admit it.  I don't like leftovers.  I like food that's just been prepared and is ready to eat right now.  I get excited about something new that I didn't have last night or two nights ago.  I don't look forward to leftovers.  Hardly ever.

Do people really like leftovers though?  I can see the draw of having a "free" meal because you paid for that meal two days ago and so today's lunch is free-ish.  I can see the draw from that perspective.

Wait, wait.  I do like leftovers, but only certain dishes.  There's a vegetable soup I make that gets better every day it gets older.  There's a roast that I can't possibly eat enough of the first day I make it.  And yet my appetite is large enough for four meals of it.  I have an Asian dish I adore that mellows and becomes more flavorful at the same time on day two.  But these are specific dishes that I always make extra of because I do want more than one serving and I do want leftovers.

My ideal meal is one that is just the right amount of food.  It's from a restaurant that doesn't serve huge helpings of food just so they can make sure you can't eat it all and have to take the extras home.   It's a meal that's appropriately priced for a single serving.

I would love to find meals served at the right size per helping so I wouldn't feel guilty if I didn't take home the remnants.  If I don't take them home, I feel wasteful.  If I do take them home and I don't eat them, I'm wasting the container that could have been put to another meal.

Ideally, all I need is what I can eat on my plate.  Oh, and dessert.  Can't forget about dessert.

The Big Boy Update:  Potty Buddy.  He had on training pants this afternoon and must have decided it was time to potty.  But where to potty?  On the potty, but where is the best place for the potty?  He dragged the potty left; he dragged the potty right; he dragged the potty into the bedroom.  He tried to sit—somewhat successfully—on just the potty insert.  Then he wanted to potty on the shelf in the closet.  I brought the potty back to its home spot and said I'd be his potty buddy and potty with him.  So lots of potty action, but no action in the potty itself.  Maybe tomorrow.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Off to school... eventually.  She's getting close to walking and we'd like to get her into school at the place her brother is going.  You need to be walking to join the Toddler Houses classrooms, but it was close enough that we wanted to submit an application for her.  She's going to be evaluated by the head toddler teacher to assess her readiness.  Soon she'll be baking bread and polishing shoes and arranging flowers and doing all the other funky, life-skills the toddlers do at school.

Someone Once Said:  Don’t explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment