Thursday, September 13, 2012

Processing Change

This is not about giving change, or counting your change or turning in change to the bank to get bills.  This is about life change.   It's about those big changes that take time to process and how our brain can be in autopilot mode until someday we realize we've fully processed the change.

It's not unlike learning a second language and not feeling like you're really fluent in the language until you find yourself thinking in that language some day.  When I first got married I knew I was married, but I didn't know I was married without thinking about it.  I answered the phone with my job all day and I easily made the change from my maiden last name to my married last name because I answered the phone by stating my name.  But, "Mrs.?"  Accepting that part took a good while to process. 

Being pregnant.  Not difficult to accept.  Pregnancy forces itself on you with all the physiological changes to your body.  But the moment that little baby is born, suddenly you go from a non-mommy to a mommy.  And your brain has to catch up.  I have two children now and I know I'm a mother.  I talk about, "my son" or "my children" all the time.  But sometimes, I forget I'm a parent and when I realize it it's a novel feeling.

And don't even get me started about being a, "family of four" because that one is going to take a while longer still to accept.

The Big Boy Update:  Noooooooo!  He's realized there's separation happening now at school drop-off.  He cries.  The staff whisk him away so quickly that he's redirected and hopefully not sad for long.  When school started it was new and novel, and quite frankly it's more interesting than being at home is, but he's decided departures are sad.  It's a good thing the teachers are all experts at dealing with children.  I have not one worry he's in the best situation possible.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Unhappy snotty.  She got the snots from her brother.  It's cramping her style and her ability to nap peacefully.  Oh, and drink her milk.  It's ticking her off on multiple fronts.

Fitness Update:  My neighbor and I ran six miles today.  We talked about how six miles seemed like not very much when we ran over thirteen the other day.  And we know that's a strange thing because we ran for over an hour to run those six miles.  That's a long time running, and it's a good workout to start the day.  I told her about my friend who emailed yesterday that she can't sign up for the race my other friends are signing up for because she will have run in a 50K race the day before.  50K!??  That's over a marathon.  Good Grief Charlie Brown.

Someone Once Said:  Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment