Thursday, September 6, 2012

I Can't Tell You, You'll Have to Read About It

When I get an idea during the day on what I plan to write here, I send myself a note.  While I'm waiting to get to the computer to get the idea written, I do some thinking about what I'm going to write.  Sometimes when I start to write, it comes out pretty much like I'd planned it; sometimes it ends up entirely differently.  But I have a general rule, I don't talk about the post before I write it.

For some reason, talking about it before I write about it can abort the idea.  Am I processing it in some way by speaking on the subject aloud?  I know from a therapeutic perspective, talking about something can help a person deal with a difficult issue or help someone make a decision they've been putting off, or even have terrible, awful, painful memories fade somewhat.  All that, just from talking about it out loud.

If that's the case, I shouldn't have any stress, worries, or problems in my life because I sure do wedge in enough talking throughout the day.  But that aside, something happens in our brains when we verbalize thoughts that changes things.  The brain is both curious and wonderful.

The Big Boy Update:  Rail Reconnaissance, or how long will self-preservation prevail?  He keeps getting up on the railing of the crib, but so far, he's not willing to get out.  You hear him talking and calling your name.  You go investigate.  He's sitting straddled on the railing.  He's very pleased with himself.  But why is he not out?  Does he have a sense of self-preservation?  Does he remember that it hurt when he fell out before?  He's started climbing up on the backs of sofas, comfy chairs, dining room table chairs, office chairs, and he's caused a few to fall over.  So far, he hasn't injured himself.  But I fear it's coming.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We can keep her!  Whew, sighs of relief all around; my daughter likes her father's pasta.  Had she rejected it, well, I don't want to think about the ramifications.  On the hair growth front, it's still blonde and growing.  She's got a second layer of hair that seems to be coming in as well.  Soon it's going to be bows and ribbons.  From a verbal perspective, she seems to be able to approximate sounds given the right situation.  We were on the bridge the other day and daddy and her brother were practicing saying, "echo" as there is a nice sound bounce in the vaulted area of the house.  After we'd all said it numerous times we realized she was saying two syllables repeatedly, and they sounded somewhat like, "echo."  I think she was just joining in on the verbal fun, but it was impressive to see the connections she had made.

Someone Once Said:   'Sense’ is never ‘common’. The two terms are contradictory.

No comments:

Post a Comment