Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Grapefruits and Tangerines

Have you known people who lost weight, only to gain it back in short order?  You're so proud of them and then also sad with them that it was so difficult to keep the weight off.  I don't want to be one of those people.

I've lost my weight, and I want to keep it off.  But I'm exercising more now than I have since I was in junior high doing competitive gymnastics.  So I'm having to look at things in a different light.  If I want to build up muscle, I'm going to possibly have to gain some weight.  But how much?  And over what time frame?  I don't know. 

I keep thinking about the five pound differential of fat versus muscle.  Five pounds of fat is about the same dimensions as three grapefruits while five pounds of muscle is about three tangerines.  So how many grapefruits have I lost and how many tangerines do I need to adjust my weight for?  I don't know.  I'm trying to find a good balance. 

The Big Boy Update:  The pacifier's days are numbered.  He's close to twenty-one months now and we've decided the remnants of the pacifier dependency need to go.  He gets it at night, and sometimes at nap.  Never during the day or in the car.  But he can and will sleep without it.  We just need to tough out a few nights or weeks maybe until he is accustomed to not having it.  Plan:  start next week.  We'll see how firm we are or if we cave and give it to him because we're the ones that are tired and don't want to have to deal with him taking longer to get to sleep.  Think firm thoughts for us...

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Balloon Wars.  Yesterday we got a balloon as we left Red Robin at lunch.  My son and daughter were playing with it on the way home.  She would scream, like he had hurt her, but the only thing that had happened was she didn't have any string to hold.  He figured this out and would laugh and hand her back a bit of string.  Then she would laugh.  When we got home we could see this in action:  holding the balloon string, she's laughing and all smiles; take away the balloon string and she screamed like she'd just been mortally wounded.  It was pretty funny.  We got it on video and tried very hard not to laugh while she alternated laughing and having fits of anger.

Fitness Update:  Day of rest.  Day of cake.  No no, ugh, yes.  I bought a cake at the grocery store.  One of those with the fluffy airy white icing  It's a small cake—the smallest I could get—but it's still here and I'm still eating on it.  Tomorrow, more exercise, less cake.

Someone Once Said:  To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old falsehoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment