Saturday, September 29, 2012

Reality Shows and the State Of Our Nation

What is it with our nation and our fascination with reality shows and the personal lives of politicians?  Do we have nothing better to do than talk about and laugh about and spend excessive amounts of time watching people talk about other people?

I just don't get it.  I don't understand why people love reality shows where it seems the majority of the show is about the drama between the participants.  I've never watched Survivor before, but I did see a bit here and there from the first few seasons.  It looked pretty intense.  My girlfriends had me watch a recent season of Survivor and it seems all about alliances, talking badly about the other participants, lying about what was being said and then voting and debriefing to kick people off.  Where was the surviving part?

They said that's how the show is now.  And don't even get me started about shows like The Bachelor because I might just have to gag myself with a spoon.

I do watch Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe because he's an entertaining host and I'm impressed with the difficult, thankless, dirty jobs people do around the country and how we take their hard work for granted.

I also don't understand how we can be so focused on our politician's private lives.  Yes, it is important to know if they're an accountable person, but birth certificates?  And yes, it was a scandal back in the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewenski days, but our country's media just wouldn't let it go.  It went on and on and it was crazy.  I was in New Zealand working for part of the time and the people their said they didn't understand why we cared so much.  I still don't know why as a country we care so much.

Last night at Movie Night they watched The Hunger Games.  I'm starting to feel like our nation is a collection of people who look just as silly, foolish and superficial as the capital people in The Hunger Games.  Is that how we look to the rest of the world?

The Big Boy Update:  Forceful ignoring and the pink balloon.  These temper tantrums out of nowhere and without reasonable provocation are challenging.  Challenging to momma.  Challenging to daddy.  Challenging to my son.  Not so much bothering my daughter though.  This morning all was well.  There were four balloons from yesterday's birthday celebration.  I asked my son to give one to his sister while she was on the potty.  He picked the pink one.  He had three others.  He changed his mind and decided the only thing in the world he wanted was that pink balloon.  She was blissfully ignorant about him trying to get at her and tear away her balloon as I blocked him.  He went on and on and screamed and yelled and threw himself down and eventually all the balloons got taken away.  Eventually he sat in my husband's lap and they looked at the wall and he calmed down.  The start of time out has begun.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Hanging in the crib.  Not in a gangsta kind of way though.  When she's not tired or not ready to sleep or has woken up, she likes to grab at the things dangling down from her mobile and prevent the mobile from spinning around.  This makes a strange click click sound we can hear in the baby monitor.  At first there was one piece she could reach, but now she can grab at most of the dangling items so it's getting harder to stop her.  Also, she's been practicing standing while doing this so it has a useful purpose.

Fitness Update:  Fourteen miles today.  We were going for our longest distance yet.  We were going along just fine until we got to about eleven miles.  This means we're three miles from home and there's no faster way to get back other than those three miles.  My neighbor was struggling.  She was very tired and her legs felt very sore.  She was also cramping.  When we talked about it she said she realized only too late that she hadn't eaten enough for dinner last night and had not had breakfast because we were going running.  The combination of lack of calories was too much after twelve miles.  We walked about 1.5 miles at the end, and I'm glad we did as she said she was feeling light-headed and a bit dizzy.  She was out of Gatorade, so I ran some over to her in the hopes she would recover more quickly.  Other than that, I feel great.  Heck, we made 14 miles.  We just walked some.  Next time, we'll run the whole thing. 

Someone Once Said:   An honest politician is one that stays bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment