Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Call Me Maybe

My daughter went to school this morning wearing two large blue and silver shields over her eyes.   The pair of shields had been combined together with some matching blue cord I found in the craft room.   Additional cord went over her ears and behind her head, tying in a bow at just enough tension to keep them up and in place, doing the job of protecting her eyes.

Both her carpool driver and her teachers said they would ensure no one teased or picked on her about the shields.   My daughter had come over with a rather serious case of anxiety over this, saying the other children in her cab played tricks on her a lot of the time and they would tease her.   She was less concerned about her class mates as they have all been friends for two years now and their teacher has set a good example on both kindness and understanding of others, including how we each are different.

So her first day back was a good one.   She even came over and whispered to me while we were talking to the neighbors outside, “I just opened my eye.”   I can’t really say how I felt.   Unsurprised internally but excited and conspiratorial with my daughter, perhaps.   She was happy she’d opened the eye up so soon.

Did she want to talk about what she could see?  No.  Ah, of course not.   We’ll get to that information maybe tomorrow or the next day.

The Big Boy Update:  My son’s end of year CDs came home today.   Each student picks their favorite song of the year.   My son, hot off the breakdancing lesson from yesterday came home and had Alexa playing all the songs for him.   Because why do we need CDs of the music when my son doesn’t even know what a CD player looks like?   Alexa could play the songs for him though.   I had to stop him dancing to the seventh song in a row and send him up to his bunk.   I was going to send him up a song earlier but when he said, “Alexa, play ‘Call Me Maybe’”  I had to jump in and dance beside him to our reflections in the bathroom mirror.    What song did my son select for the end of tear classroom collection?   A Mad Russian’s Christmas by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.    You’ve probably heard this instrumental song before.  If you’ve ever seen the Tesla Model X Christmas Easter egg demo, it’s set to the first part of this song.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  How much different is the vision my daughter had before Monday’s surgery and now with a fully closed eye?   We know the latter is zero vision.   The former doesn’t seem to be much more than that.   She’s navigating around like she can see, only she doesn’t have the eye open, which means we’ve been underestimating her skills and overestimating her vision.   Example: she gets home and says, “I’m going to go over to Madison’s”.  She’s not taking a cane and she has to go without touching things all the time.   There are open stretches of just grass or concrete. Turn wrong or not protect yourself and you could run into a basketball goal post or a knee wall or step.   She does this all the time now, including today when I knew she couldn’t see anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment