Wednesday, June 26, 2019

An Inch Off the Bottom

My daughter’s hair grows frighteningly slow.   People don’t believe me when I tell them, but it’s true.   She has very fine hair that used to break off a lot, and if we’re not careful it will still come off in piles when we put it in a ponytail or other style of hair that requires more than a headband.

And when I say slow growing, here’s what I mean.   At the start of kindergarten my daughter had bangs.   I know this because the picture from the first day of school had long little bangs, right at the top of her glasses.   During the kindergarten year we cut her hair just twice.   That’s two hair cuts in an entire year—a year in which we were trying to grow out those bangs.  

This year in first grade we’ve cut her hair three times.  Each time I asked Sue to cut less than an inch. She desperately needed the ends cut off and each time we got her hair cut she liked how it was easier to brush.   We’ve asked her if she wanted to keep her hair long or cut it short.   With just a few exceptions she’s wanted to keep it long (and I always held out to see if she’d change her mind, which she always did, thankfully.)

Today I took her for her semi-annual hair cut (or around there about).  We had a whole inch cut off.  There was barely a wisp on the floor of her blonde little locks when Sue was done with the cutting.  I think she is starting to really like it long because we can do things like French braids, double French braids, regular braids, pig tail braids—all of which don’t require her to wear the headband that’s been permanently affixed to her had for close to two years while her bangs have grown out.

The Big Boy Update:  My son went bowling today with Blake.   I think he had fun, but when he got home all he said was, “okay, you can go now Blake.”   He really likes doing things with Blake, he’s having a hard time understanding that just because he’s off from school for the summer, it doesn’t mean his father and I are off and have no parental responsibilities as well.   I offered to have him help with the preparations I was working on for our upcoming sailing trip but he said he thought he’d rather take a nap instead.   He doesn’t nor did he nap.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Two more days until my daughter is finished with school for the year.   This last week of school they’ve been working hard, including two days where they bring games in and play with their friends, a read in the dark day (my daughter had that one down, easy, no flashlight needed) and a pajama day to end the school year on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment