Thursday, June 13, 2019

Framing the Picture

My daughter did some painting what I think must have been two summers ago now with her sitter.   Her sitter, who has now just graduated from college, a fact I can’t get my head around because I could have sworn she just finished her second year.   So much so that I asked her if perhaps she got her degree in three years instead of four.   But no, she went to college a full four years back, which goes to show you that thing about time passing more quickly as you get older is true.  

When my daughter and Morgan made the paintings, they did them right.  It was on real canvas and used what I’m going to call, “real paints”.   The designs were abstract and yet they had some interesting style to them.   This was not surprising, considering Morgan was an artist already, well before she went off to get a degree in design.

My husband decided to frame one of the paintings, which has been hanging in the entrance to our bedroom ever since.   My son has done a decent bit of art work at school, mostly what I’d call, “refrigerator art” you get from a child.   Then, just before school was over this year, my son brought home a piece with a white dove on some paper in black with a hard to define quality about it.   It was interesting visually.   My son went on to tell us how the piece was made, which included painting, crinkling the paper, painting over again, deciding it wasn’t what he was aiming for and then adding more layers.

He didn’t particularly like the piece but mostly I think this was because it wasn’t what he was picturing in his mind.   My husband and I liked it better than anything he’d brought home before.   My husband said to me, “I think we should frame it and put it up beside his sister’s painting.”  I agreed and today my husband went to pick up the piece from the frame shop.

When my son got home we had an unveiling.  He didn’t know what to think.   I don’t think he though his work was good enough to frame, but you could tell he was very happy about it.  I can see it from the bed where I’m sitting, typing this post.  The framing brings out the imagery even more.   I’m glad my husband thought to frame it.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son saw his integrative therapist today.   She’s never seen him while he’s had the Adderall active so we had him take one of the pills today.   We haven’t seen him on it for that matter either.   It was not a good day, to say the least.   He might be more focused at school for work-purposes, but he’s highly emotional and easily disregulated.   I’m glad it’s there and available to help with school, but I’m also glad it’s short-acting and we don’t need to use it otherwise.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  There was some door slamming upstairs.   We called up and asked that they please not bang the door.   My daughter said, “it’s okay, that was an accident.  Madison just shut the door on my face.”  Normally she’d be very upset over this but she didn’t seem to be bothered by it at all.   I didn’t tell her she has a red scuff right between her eyes where the door hit her when I saw her later.

No comments:

Post a Comment