Sunday, June 30, 2019

Strange But Nice

My in-laws had my children over for the night while we hosted a retirement party at our house.   While the party was going on I was too busy doing party things to notice they were gone.   The party was lovely even though not all the wine was drunk.   There were a few people who drank a good bit, but they were happy people and nice to be around.   The people that stayed the latest jumped in and helped with the clean up while some of the other people went downstairs and played pinball.   It was a late night for me, typically I’m long asleep by the time the last people left.

We did something I haven’t done before—we didn’t clean up completely before we went to sleep.  That’s hard for me.  I have always had the house back to the state it was in before the party at the end of the evening.   I was in a decent bit of pain last night and just wanted to get in bed when the house was empty.   I was out of energy, which also ins’t like me.

I had one glass of champagne, which we passed out for toasts.   There were a lot of glasses to be washed what with almost forty guests drinking both wine and champagne.   My husband put all the food away and cleaned up quite a lot after I had gotten in bed.   It was interesting though in that it didn’t bother me that there would be cleaning up to be done in the morning.   It’s calming to my mind to have everything done, nothing waiting for me in the morning left to do.   But I just let It go and climbed under the covers, started one of my documentary shows on my iPad and fell asleep about two minutes later.

This morning I woke up at the regular time and let the dog out.  I got coffee, washed most of the glasses and then I got back in bed.  And I didn’t have to answer a single “mommy” question.   I didn’t have to deal with any bickering, I didn’t have to explain to an angry child why they couldn’t do something.   The house was quiet.

It was strange, but it was nice.   My in-brought the children back mid-afternoon.   The house is much less quiet now.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way home in the car, Nana was singing and apparently my son wasn’t enjoying it.   He said, "Nana, if you don’t stop and behave yourself I’m beginning to think that Papa is the better one.”  Nana could help it and started laughing.   My son followed up with, “well, if you just behave yourself, I’ll consider you both equal.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and son were at the pool yesterday with their grandparents until the pool was closed.   Today she must have been tired still because when they got home she had a slice of cake from the party last night, got a blanket and fell asleep on the hardwood floor in the breakfast nook.

No comments:

Post a Comment