Wednesday, January 20, 2021

The Mini

I forgot to write a blog post yesterday.   Totally slipped my mind.   I'd gone through a confusing process the day before when I checked to see if a package was out for delivery, only to find FedEx had tried to deliver it at 7:17am and they would try one final time the next day.   We were confused.  They hadn't tried to deliver it as no FexEx truck had even been on our street since 5am.  (My husband reviewed all the footage from the camera we have pointing at the street.)

I called FedEx and the nice man who helped me said that the message I'd gotten via email was confusing and that the package hadn't been even out for delivery.   There was an issue with it being "released" and as a result, it had been pulled from the day's delivery schedule.   He said either I could go pick it up (which is what the email had also told me) or I could wait to get it the following day—if it had been released by then. 

I asked how it was that I could pick it up if it hadn't been released and was he sure?  He was.   I just needed to show my photo ID at the pickup address and I could get it.   I wanted that package, so I went right before getting my son for school.   When I arrived I was surprised to see only one other car in the parking lot.   That FedEx location was always packed every time I'd gone before. 

I went inside, gave them the number and then I found out what "released" meant.   The package hadn't cleared customs.   Customs, the lady told me, was running days behind schedule and there wasn't much they could do until they released it.   That made sense to me and it also made sense that I couldn't just pick the package up with my photo ID until that happened.   

We had a nice time chatting while she was waiting to hear back on the package and then another customer came in and we all got to chatting until I realized I'd better head out or I'd be late to get my son.   She assured me as soon as the package was released, it would be on the way to me.   I thanked them for the help and told the other clerk thanks for the suggestion for a VR game my daughter might like since he'd heard my story of how she could play VR Minecraft (he played VR games himself.)  

Yesterday the package must have cleared customs because it was on my doorstep when I came up mid-afternoon.   I'd been waiting since mid-November for this.  If you've guessed the package was another 3D printer, you get an A+ for the day.   I'd ordered a Prusa Mini.  It's heavily back-ordered and the wait has only increased since I ordered mine. 

So last night I was distracted with the new printer and totally forgot about this post.  I'll write two posts today to catch up I think.

The Big Boy Update:  I told my son if he would give me some time to work on putting the new printer together after school, I'd let him play Minecraft.   Unless his friend, Rayan, rang the doorbell.   He agreed and he held to his word, playing outside for a good while and then taking care of himself while I worked on the printer build. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter went skiing with her father for a day trip and I was worried she wouldn't like it.  I know my husband and he can make things fun though.   She did have a good time, but I think it's not her favorite sport yet.   She learned a lot even in the few short hours they skiied.   Next time she may decide she loves skiing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment