Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The 911 Near Miss

Two nights ago I got two hours of sleep.  It was just one of those nights.   There were reasons and none of them were good ones.   I wasn't binging on The Mandalorian season 2, although if I don't watch it soon, my husband may tie me to a chair and make me.   It was a long night and sleep wasn't had and as a result, I was tired.  

I got to the Chiropractor's office because I had all ideas he would be able to help me sleep better the following night but before I went in, I pulled out my iPad in the parking lot to respond to something.   I spent a few minutes working on the email and the next thing I knew, someone was tapping on my window.  

"Huh?" was probably what I said.  I recognized one of the front desk staff.   I waved to her and said, I fell asleep, thanks.  I was getting ready to come in, putting my iPad back in my purse and rolling down the window for the dog, who was sitting beside me, when I saw the doctor himself at my window.  

This was not right.   I didn't see him in the parking lot—had never seen him in the parking lot—and I was in my groggy state still a little confused.  He asked me if I was okay and I reiterated that I'd dozed off.  He went back inside and I followed shortly behind him.  

I saw him a while later when it was my turn to be seen.   He told me there was a lady who came in and said I was slumped over in the car.   She thought I might be dead and was going to call 911.  She was only stopped from calling 911 if the doctor came out to make sure I was okay.

I am baffled by the concept that you'd call 911 before tapping on the window or calling out to someone if you were concerned about them.  She could have used a stick if she thought I was COVID-19 infected to the point that I was on death's door and getting near the car was dangerous to her health.  Or yelled.

The front desk person came out and knocked and I was alive.  Why did the doctor, who was six people behind, have to come out to check so she wouldn't call?   People fall asleep in their cars.  It's not unheard of.   I could have been with someone who went into the office and I was waiting for them and was napping while I waited.  I was nodded over, looking at my iPad, I wasn't sprawled out all over the steering wheel.   

And lastly, if I was dead, why would you call 911? 

The good news is I wasn't dead.  And I got a much better night of sleep last night.  Thanks to my chiropractor for always taking care of me and making sure I'm not dead. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son was folding the laundry the other day and I was going to come to give him a hug.  At the time he was working on folding his socks.  He hefted the socks in an outstretched arm and said, "I have a pair of socks and I'm not afraid of using them!"   I held my hands up in a surrendering gesture and backed away laughing.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter asked me, "are all dogs incredulous?"  I said I wasn't sure what she meant with that sentence and could she tell me more.   She replied, "you don't know what that means? It's the most important word."

No comments:

Post a Comment