Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Background Noise

Different people have a different level of tolerance for the amount of background noise under which they can function without being distracted.   I think my husband has a high level of this because he can not only ignore everything happening around him when he's working, he can ignore when people are directly talking to him, trying to get his attention.   It is a skill he has leveled up to a high level.  

I'm fairly good at it in that children can be screaming, laughing, playing, arguing, you name it, all around me and unless they're bothering me specifically or I catch wind that they're hurting something, someone, or are breaking explicit rules, I can generally ignore it.  Or intervene.  Or tell them to go elsewhere.   

I can do that with relative ease.   What I can't do well is if an adult conversation is happening right near me.  For some reason, I pay attention to what's being said.  I just want to tune them out, but I can't overcome the distraction.

Why am I telling you this?  Because there is a Zoom board meeting happening behind me that my husband is on.   I don't need to know what they're talking about, but since it's about our neighborhood and has some relevance to me, I keep getting distracted from writing this post.   

I'm going to write something longer tomorrow.   For today, I got through a lot of emails, which has been a long time coming.  My word, I've been behind. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son said he had a good day at school today.   He had the computer for class meetings, was getting email, got into the classroom Google Drive, and ended the day doing an art project in which he got a lot of blue oil crayon all over the table (it was a very nice picture).  He did all of this almost completely by himself.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was loud today.   Some days she's loud a portion of the time, but she is always, always loud at least some of the day.   She just likes top volume coming out of her mouth.   When it's anyone else, she says things are too loud.   She was quite happy to see Blake back today.   I was happy to have him back too.

No comments:

Post a Comment