Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Return to Normal

Normal posting here, that is.   I always write something about each of the children, or something they did together and for the last five days I focused on the history of my daughter's eyes, writing something I plan to refer to in years to come.   It seemed like they should stand alone so odd as it was after nine years of posting every day about my children, I took a five-day break. 

Over those five days my son has been going to school, my daughter has been still out of school and we tried to get our lives, or rather house, back in order.  To be fair, our house isn't ever really that far out of order, but it felt so to my husband and me and if we didn't get on top of it soon, I was going to fall into a deep pit of untidy despair—and my husband didn't want that.  

We talked to the children and asked when they'd like to do the tidying and cleaning up over the three-day weekend.   My son groaned, complained and did the ten-year-old tantrum he does for about twenty seconds until he realized it wasn't going to help.   He huffed off and I yelled at his retreating body that should he leave, his sister would be picking all the times we'd be working.   He didn't care apparently because he didn't return. 

My daughter picked three intervals of time on Sunday and we set alarms on Alexa to make sure we didn't let the time slip by.   On Sunday morning she woke us up, saying she'd already been working on the bonus room and could she do some dusting?  She likes dusting a lot but she needs to be told where she can dust lest she knocks things off from surfaces covered with who knows what. 

We did a fairly good job of getting things cleaned, including both children's rooms, which we'd been letting go for a good while.  They took a break while my husband and I continued and we re-convened later to finish the day's work, followed by a bath and a shower for my daughter and son respectively. 

On Monday we had intended to do actual house cleaning, including vacuuming, sweeping, bathroom and toilet cleaning, and the coveted dusting job both children liked to do together.   Laundry had been finished the day before so we were in good shape.   

My husband and I were the ones who got lazy and decided to do only some of the work, letting everyone have most of the day off since my children's neighbor friends had some availability to play outside and the weather was reasonably warm.  

The holidays as well as the house mold cleaning situation made me feel as though I was never going to catch up.  As it stands, I think I can see the end of the backlog.   That being said, my husband and I have just gotten off the phone and realized there are some things we really need to start work on project-wise that we've put of for far too long.   

I suppose being busy is better than being bored.   My daughter said she would help us.   Now if I can just figure out a way for her to help us that will be meaningful to her.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My husband and daughter have spent the better part of two weeks putting together two complex LEGO sets.   We now have on the dining room table a functional roller coaster and Ferris wheel.  My daughter understands so much more about how LEGOs work from these projects.   She enjoyed every single step with her father.   Their next project is going to be a carousel.   Hopefully, there will still be room for us to eat at the table.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son went to bed a little too eagerly tonight.   I asked if he had any digital in his room and of course, he said no.   I went downstairs to our room and saw his iPad missing from the charging spot I'd put it only an hour before.   I wouldn't have been tipped off so quickly had I not heard him jump out of bed and open and shut a drawer right after I left the room.   I suppose it's good he's not that sneaky yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment