Saturday, January 9, 2021

Do You Like Opium?

My daughter loves audiobooks.   She will be reading books more in the reasonable future when she can read fully contracted braille because her Mantis refreshable braille display has connectivity to the Library of Congress’s National Library Service for the Blind.   She already knows how to find and download books, they’re just frustrating to read because it’s partially unreadable to her right now. 

So audiobooks are her escape.   The books we get for her are all children’s books, but they each have different situations and stories and I don’t listen to the books in their entirety beforehand, trusting on the reviews and ratings available. 

So today, when my son was trying to listen to a YouTube video about Minecraft something or Zelda Breath of the Wild something else and I heard my daughter say to him, “hey Greyson, do you like opium?” I was a little concerned.   Had I not been paying attention to her audiobook content?   What did she know about opium and should I be concerned?

My son said he didn’t like it, which was a good thing to hear, and then I heard my daughter ask him more questions.   That’s when I relaxed.   She had asked him if he liked oatmeal, not opium.   She was reading to him from a cookbook they sent home from school she could have called, “Green Eggs and Ham” which includes fun and funny recipes for things in the world of Dr. Seuss that you can cook yourself.

This book in braille, which has zero pictures just like all braille books, my daughter is all about.   She read the entire recipe to my son who cared not one bit about it, but he listened in one ear while paying attention to his video in the other. 

The Big Boy Update:  My son makes puttering, clicking, sputtering noises when he’s playing a video game.   It’s the funniest thing because we’ll ask him to stop and he’ll realize he was doing it again, apologize, say he’ll work on it and not five seconds later he’s back at it.   Five seconds might even be a stretch because it happens as soon as he reengages with the game.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles: My daughter fell asleep after dinner tonight.   A while later my husband asked if I’d go up with him so we could get her up, in pajamas, get her to brush her teeth and basically get ready to sleep instead of being crashed out on her bed with Alexa playing an audiobook in her clothes.  When we got there she was indeed quite asleep.   When she woke up she wanted to know what time it was and when we told her it was after nine she wanted to know if she’d missed Keira.   We reminded her Keira couldn’t play outside tomorrow.   She wanted to know why we wanted her to put on pajamas at nine in the morning (she can’t see so she couldn’t tell it was dark outside) and we told her it was still nighttime.   She finally got it all and was awake enough to brush her teeth.   Then she fell immediately back to sleep on her huge stuffed animal her brother got her for Christmas, sprawled out across it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment