Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Watch Calls

My mother and daughter have a regular conversation they have.   When my daughter gets in the cab on the way home my mother tries to call her while she’s on the long ride home.   I’m not sure how it goes in the cab, because the GPS tracking watch my daughter has only has speaker phone options, with my mother’s voice coming out in a tiny, tinny sound from my daughter’s wrist.

Today my parents drove to town to get some things done here.   They come here from time to time during the months they reside in the mountains.  We have dinner planned with them and before dinner my mother thought it would be nice to come here and greet my daughter when she got home.

Right now they’re having a conversation on my phone and my daughter’s watch.  My mother had her guess where she was making the call from and when my daughter found out she was here, waiting for her to get home, she got very excited.   Excited, but not nearly so as much as the dog.  The dog has some favorite people with Mimi being one of her short list.   I had to place the dog on her cot by the front door several times so she wouldn’t jump up and bowl my mother over.

The dog’s excitement continues with her wanting attention from my mother in any way she’s willing to give it.   My mother and daughter are on the phone now and are playing some of the games they usually play.   It’s very reminiscent of when I was a child and played games with my “grandma”.

My father’s mother knew just how to speak to a child.   She always let me lead the conversation and I always seemed to know things and without fail, won any game she and I played together.   It wasn’t until later that I realized she was letting me win the games we played.   It’s a special skill, pretending a child knows everything and you know very little.   It is apparently a skill grandmothers have a surfeit of.

We’re going to our favorite sushi and Thai restaurant tonight.  My son is with my in-laws until Thursday so my daughter will have four adults all to herself tonight.   She’s sure to take full advantage of the situation, knowing her.

The Big Boy Update:  My son has diarrhea.   We’re not sure what caused it or why, but he’s had it for over a day now.   It’s very rare to the point that I don’t remember him ever having it before once he got out of diapers and was eating solid foods.   He’s eaten the same things the rest of us have for the most part so we’re at a loss as to the cause.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I thought of something my daughter said to me the other day as I watched our dog overjoyed in happiness to see my mother—so much so that she wasn’t able to control her body and tried to get as close to her as possible, including sitting on top of her, in order to maximize the attention she received.   I said to my mother, “Reese said to me, ‘can you handle all this happiness?’"

No comments:

Post a Comment