Thursday, August 29, 2019

Creepy

I've made a decision.   It's time   It's taken me a long enough to get here, and I won't lie that fifty, barreling down on me, is ready to attack me at my birthday in several months and declare, "you're half a century old, don't you think you should know how to put makeup on by now?"

Makeup seems to wax and wane over time with more or less going up and down like skirt lengths used to.   When I was in high school, there was a lot of powder blue eye shadow and rosy cheeks, but I don't remember much else.   The blue eye shadow is all I can pick out in my pictures from that era.

I don't think I wore much more than that, though.   Mascara was a nightmare I thought, and the rest of it just felt gross.   Lately though with my aging and looking older and dowdier, combined with the flamboyant makeup styles currently in fashion, I thought I'd give it another go.

I got some makeup and a lesson.   I tried to put on the makeup, but it takes time.   Mornings with two children are short on time, and I like to sleep, so I wasn't getting much practice in.   This morning I was determined to put the makeup on, for no particular reason other than I'd said I was going to give it a go, even though we were running late.

I had forgotten by now some of the instructions from the lady who had helped me when it came to where the eye shadows should go and how they should be blended, but I thought I got it kind of close.   Maybe it didn't look like she did it, but could it be that bad?

I called out to my son to head to the car, and when he caught up with me, he stopped in his tracks and said, "you look creepy, Mom."   I grabbed a sponge to try and remove some of it, and we got in the car.   I asked him which parts looked creepy.   He said, "I love you, Mom, but you have too much eye makeup on."

At stoplights, I tried to tone things down, and by the time we'd gotten to school, I asked him again what he thought.  He said, "I've watched makeup videos on YouTube, I can show you how."   Then, as he was exiting the car, he said, "just keep wearing the sunglasses."

So while he was at school today I watched some YouTube videos myself and by the time I picked him up at school, I had redone things.   He smiled and told me I looked good.   Which is high praise from an eight-year-old who will tell you exactly what he thinks.   He said he wanted to do my makeup.   I told him he could help me out this weekend.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was serious about the makeup.   I thought my children were brushing their teeth but my son had out the makeup star box Nana had given my daughter and was about to do her over.    I told him he could when they got home from school tomorrow that makeup wasn't best to put on right before you got to bed and got it all over the pillow.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted to do her own makeup.   Not being able to see what people look like or remember faces, she wanted to draw pictures mostly on her face as, "makeup".  She put her name on her forehead and squiggled blue and purple all over the sides of her face.   She loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment