Friday, August 16, 2019

The Word List

My daughter has “word banks” in a lot of the work she does at school.  These lists are for spelling or using in sentences.   Sometimes they’re used for word searches—which my daughter does in a grid of braille letters that her teacher makes for her, cool, no?   She’s made word banks at home from time to time but last night she made a special list.

She and my mother were at her braillewriter, typing up something for their ride home conversation today.   Every afternoon, unless my mother is busy, she calls my daughter on her GPS watch and they have special conversations, songs, discussions of who knows what while she rides in the back of the minivan driven by Ms. Grimes as she’s on the long ride home.

My mother and father were driving back to the mountains today and my mother was hoping to get back in time to call my daughter for their regularly scheduled call.   I didn’t know what they planned on talking about, but surely there would be some sort of hint in that word list they were typing up.

My mother did get back in time to call my daughter and they talked as they were slowed down on their ride by a heavy, wind-driven rain storm.  When my daughter got home today I found the word list and transcribed it.   Their secret is out…or is it?   I’m not sure what they were planning based on the list of my daughter’s favorite words coupled with her favorite things I found on their list:



The Big Boy Update:  My son agonized through some summer homework this afternoon.   He wanted to get some downloadable content for the Zelda game he’d just finished so we made a contract with him for a good amount of homework he’ll have to complete over the next two weeks.   He was very happy to make the commitment today, we’ll see if he’s equally happy about doing the homework come Monday.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   The issues I’m seeing at home aren’t just me.   My daughter’s teacher called me and I got a detailed message from her VI teacher this afternoon.   She’s exhibiting the same behaviors at school, not only towards her friends, but also to her teachers.   I’m seeing if we can get her into the therapist as quickly as possible, as well as have a session for me so I can get some possible insight into what’s happening and how we can best support her.

No comments:

Post a Comment