Thursday, August 22, 2019

The Thermostat

I spent a lot of time at my parent's house today.  Their air conditioning unit had died, and it was time to replace it.  It took several hours, and I worked on the computer and made calls while they banged and clattered around in the basement and outside.

At one point a man came in to change out the thermostat in the hall.  He was putting in a smart one that had an app and remote access via your smart device.   As he was pulling the old thermostat off the wall, I said, "I want to keep that."

That thermostat, unless I'm mistaken, has been in their house since I was a child.   Maybe it was changed out at some point, but it looks like the one I always remembered:



This is the very thermostat over which the question, "who turned the heat up?" or "did you turn the temperature down?" types of questions were asked by my father to my mother and me.   Perhaps I'd touched the thermostat a time or two, but as a child, I didn't remember noticing the temperature much and was always surprised when my father wanted to if I'd changed it.

My mother would commonly say to me, "it was probably him, don't worry about it."   This was sort of a joke between my mother and me after a while.   So today, when the thermostat was in danger of being thrown away, I had to save it as a piece of my childhood.

The Big Boy Update:  My son went swimming in a quarry today.   He's going to his sitter's lake house tomorrow.   He's having all the fun the last week before school starts.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was in a good mood today when I picked her up from school to go to her therapist.   It was tactile week in art apparently and she told me about all the different textures the whole class was working with.    

No comments:

Post a Comment