Thursday, August 8, 2019

Buckle Fracture

Okay, so this post isn’t going to be about my daughter, but my son instead.   In update though, my daughter misdoing incredibly well.   She’s happy, she’s busily working on things all through the day, including setting the table for dinner and cleaning up the plates afterwards.   This is better (by way of how she’s feeling) than we could have possibly expected.

This morning she went to the post-surgical follow-up appointment.   Everything about the eye looks as good as can be and on top of things, my daughter isn’t in that much discomfort.   This afternoon she had the patch off and glasses back on and was just normal her.   With one exception.  Okay, two.  

The first is she doesn’t want to talk about how the feye, or she feels.   The second is that she seems a lot happier, almost as if the weight of the upcoming surgery was lifted from her now that surgery is over and she’s more carefree.   She’s not on any medication other than a change in drops.   Hopefully that trend continues.

My son, on the other hand, or on the right arm perhaps I should say, had a more interesting day. He woke up after yesterday’s fall on his right wrist from about four feet while at parkour camp  to find his hand and arm no better.   Something was definitely going on and the best way to find out more was to go to the orthopedist.  

Three X-rays later and we had a diagnosis: a buckle fracture of the right radius.   In the images below, the red arrow points to the fracture.   Children’s bones aren’t as solidified as adults so in this case, the bone just buckled under the impact.   The ulna bone on the right of the images is nice and smooth all the way down.   That’s what the radius looked like pre-fall.



He has a temporary cast on now while the swelling goes down.   In a week he’ll get a standard cast that he’ll wear for another six weeks.   He wasn’t that upset about it but was certainly glad when it was isolated from movement in the cast and the pain went down.

The cast is up around his elbow, so it’s going to be a lot of managing for the next few weeks.   He can’t buckle his seat belt, needs help with clothes and asked me when the cast first went on, “how do I go to the bathroom?”  Fortunately he figured that one out.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got to watch television most of the day and didn’t seem to mind his cast at all.   Tonight though it was wearing on him with its weight and unwieldiness.   He said, “I just want my old arm back.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter told me the other day, “I like my family more than anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment