Tuesday, March 26, 2019

We’re Lucky to Have Him

Uncle Bob came to town today to visit for a few days.   My son had his first day of tutoring after school which he’ll be doing once per week for maybe five weeks to catch up on a few things he can handle better now with the Adderall.   My daughter came home early but was able to call me at the front door on her watch GPS tracker to ask why the door was locked, which made me thankful for technology.   And I got a present from Uncle Bob and Uncle Brian that had an unexpected timeliness.

We were finishing the children’s nighttime routine and for some reason I said, “Bob, come in here for a minute” as I motioned to my closet.   I wanted to point out the two fleeces they had given me and how I wore them all the time.   They’re definitely the thing I wear more than anything during the cold months.

Bob left the room and not three minutes later came back handed me another one of the fleeces—that he had found only weeks before and had gotten the last one in my size, knowing how much I like them.  I’m wearing it tomorrow…and probably the day after that if I can get away with not seeing the same people.

The Big Boy Update:  The title of this post is about a conversation I had with my son in the car on the way home from dinner though.   I told him I had something to show him that was a trick with two paperclips and a piece of paper.   Our friend, Nate, had told me about a YouTube channel, Numberphile, and I had found the “trick” there.

My son said, “I like Nate.   He’s my favorite Movie Night person.”  There was silence for a few seconds and then he said, “he’s never really energetic or excited.”   I told him Nate was a musician and a singer in a band and he was definitely energetic when he was on stage.   Was Nate famous, my son asked?  I said he had lots of fans.   Then, apparently one the energetic train of thought, my son said, “well, that’s good because you don’t have to worry about calming him down.”   I had pulled my phone out to write this down when my son said one more thing in a thoughtful tone from the back seat, “yeah, we’re lucky to have him.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  While my daughter was getting ready for bed tonight she told me, “today, when I was getting a booger out with a tissue...it was shaped like a noodle."

No comments:

Post a Comment