Monday, March 4, 2019

Interested in Books

The Big Boy Book Update:
At the end of the night my son likes to read books.  He sometimes does this in the closet because the light is bright and the books are stored in the built-in shelves there.  For the past few nights, I’ve noticed he’s laid out a few books on the floor, putting them beside each other in a grid pattern.  These were some comic-like books and of course the 2018 Guinness Book of World Records book, which is one of his favorites.

He asked me if I thought there was a Guinness World Record for the most books laid out?  I said I wasn’t sure and then left, reminding him to not stay up too late.   As I came downstairs to write this post I heard a flurry of activity coming from upstairs, notably from the closet-area of the children’s room.

A while later my son came down, asking where dad was?  When I told him dad was at a neighbors helping out with something he asked me if I could come upstairs, he had something to show me.   I said, “well, I’d better bring my phone in case I need to take a picture” and smiled at him.

As we came into his room he said, “you sort of have to step carefully” and fractionally opened the door.   He had done what I’d surmised he was doing: he’d laid books out fully covering the floor of the closet.   He wasn’t sure if it was a record or not, but he was thinking about continuing the spread into their bedroom tomorrow.

He was so proud, he wanted to get in the picture I told him I had to take of his handiwork.


The Tiny Girl Book Selection:
My daughter brought new library books home from school today.   She came inside just as I’d gotten on the phone with Uncle Bob and said, “back pack heavy!”  After I got off the phone I opened her back pack up and pulled out all the things she’d had added to it through the day, including completed work, the new book she and her VI teacher have been working on for two weeks on Cultures of Kindness and the new library books.

Two of the books were the next in a series we’ve been reading at home.   She remembered what book was next and had asked for them.   The next book though just made me laugh.   If she were a sighted child that could visually peruse the library shelves and pick out something of interest, I’d have been proud of her, but as a blind child, how in the heck did she find this book to check out?


It turns out her teacher had suggested non-fiction and then they figured out cars might be interesting.  This was all done via the card catalog apparently.   Ms. B. asked my daughter what kind of cars she was interested in and my daughter said Tesla.   When I told her I liked her choice she told me she though I might want to do some more research about Tesla.   I told her we would definitely read this (chidren’s) book together.

No comments:

Post a Comment