Friday, March 15, 2019

The Nature Tribe

My son came in from outside yesterday afternoon telling us he and Whitaker needed crazy glue.   After some inquiry as to why, we told him crazy glue wasn’t the best choice for connecting two sticks together.  Next he wanted tape.  

We settled on some yellow tape that we weren’t using for any other purpose, primarily because I thought they could tear it without help and secondarily because I wanted them to work on whatever it was they were working on without needing an adult by their side.   Additionally, I didn’t mind if they exhausted the full roll of tape, something I felt was fairly likely.

They came back in and wanted some string.   I found some nylon cord we had in bulk, cut some sections and met them outside.   It was then that I saw their proud handiwork.   They had created a bow from a stick, using iris leaves for the string.  They had made arrows which looked more like small crosses, using more tape and some string.   They were very proud of their work.

My son told me they had created a Nature Tribe and they were going to invite Reese in, since she was now busily working on creating something herself with sticks, string and tape.

This morning my son and I talked about where good locations would be around our house to find sticks this afternoon because he had more plans for the Nature Tribe when he got home.  My primary suggestion was, “the woods directly behind our house” which for some reason he hadn’t thought to check.

The Big Boy Update:  Today my son brought to school some apple sauce pouches for snack time.   He’s not been wanting to stop working during work cycle at school and has pushed himself too hard, becoming mentally exhausted and cranky.   I told him I thought he could eat one of those in a quick minute.  He said, “not even that, Mom, I can eat one in thirty seconds!”   Hopefully the fast calories will help and let him keep working.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was sad this afternoon.   They had class pictures today and she got in trouble for not smiling.   I feel bad about it—my husband and I had tried to give her some smiling advice this morning before she left and I’m afraid it backfired.

No comments:

Post a Comment