Friday, March 29, 2019

This Keeps Happening

Mid-day I have this great thing I want to write about when I get to the computer at night.   I have it all mapped out in my head.   It’s going to be a great blog post.   Then, round about now when it’s late and my back is spasming, I just don’t feel like putting forth the effort.   And when it comes to a blog post, if I don’t think I can do it right, I just won’t write about that particular subject.

That being said, I can’t exactly remember what amazing thing I had planned to write about tonight.   I don’t do any editing when I write these posts—which I’m sure you can tell, because there are typically a decent number of typos.   I just open the laptop up, bang away at the keys for a few minutes, press the Publish button.  Then, and this is an important step, I press the, View Blog, link.   I do this because I’ve had a time or two, way back in the early days of writing, where the whole post just went poof.

It took me a while to figure out what the “poofing” exact steps were, but under certain situations, I would publish and then it wouldn’t be there.   I won’t bore you with the details because as a software developer I can’t abide with an unreproduceable error—I had to figure it out.   And since I didn’t really feel like writing and then losing blog posts, I took measures to make sure when it did happen, I’d be covered and wouldn’t actually lose the post.

It’s why I do the following on my keyboard all the time: Command+A, Command+C, Right Arrow.  What does that do?  Pressing the Command and A keys at the same time selects all the text in the post.   The Command and C keys copies the text selected.   Then pressing the right arrow unselects and moves the cursor to the end of the post so I can keep typing.   I probably do that combination of keystrokes three to five times each night, which means even if I accidentally close the browser, I have the post held in the clipboard of the computer.

Maybe I drop the computer off the deck or into the tub or run over it with the car, but since I’m no where near any of those activities while blog post writing, I’m pretty darned safe.   And if (or when) I lose another post from that series of unfortunate steps I’ve done in the past which will ensure a freshly written blog post disappears from Blogger’s record—I can just create a new post and use the paste command to resurrect the post.

Okay, see, I was tired tonight and wasn’t even planning on writing a long post.   My back hurts and I hear Kelley brought banana pudding to Movie Night…so I’m going to the basement for dessert.

The Big Boy Update:  My son really enjoyed Mimi picking him up after school and watching him play video games.   He loves her attention.   He doesn’t interact with her the way my daughter does, but I think it’s equally meaningful to him to have her around.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter asked me yesterday, “Do I have to be blind?”  It’s interesting how she asked it.   I don’t think it had occurred to her before.   She’s always been blind from what she remembers.

No comments:

Post a Comment