Thursday, March 7, 2019

Wax Museum

My daughter participated with all the first graders today in a wax museum event at her school.   Parents and grandparents entered the gymnasium to find it filled with children, standing very still, holding a sign with their famous American on it, waiting for their button to be pressed.  


There were a lot of astronauts, famous politicians, sports players and even notables like Walt Disney and Charles Schultz.

The children didn’t look nervous even as the crowd of adults swarmed in and around them.   They had memorized and rehearsed their lines and were dressed as their character.   We went around pressing buttons and without fail, the child launched into their short speech, most in a quiet but confident voice.

My daughter’s speech was:
Hi, my name is Amelia Earhart.  I was born on July 24th, 1897.  I am famous because I was the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.   I was flying around the world when my plane disappeared over the Pacific Ocean and I was never found.  I died on January 5th, 1839.
My daughter asked how they knew what day she died.  I told her I had that same question.   Perhaps it was the day after they lost contact with her?  

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Four-Thirty in the Morning Update:  This morning at four-thirty I heard the children come downstairs together.   They never do that.   Then I heard them shut the door to our bedroom.  They don’t do that either.   I heard them in the living room talking quietly, but before I could rouse myself out of bed to investigate I fell back asleep.  

When we got up at seven, my daughter was excited for us to come see the living room.   They had been up since four-thirty, watching television and making a fort with chairs, blankets and pillows in the living.  Oh, and they’d decided to serve themselves breakfast.   They had eaten all the marshmallows out of the Lucky Charms cereal.   Without milk.   And while I was proud of the fort construction, I was not happy about the other choices they made and talked to them about the meaning of a good breakfast and how marshmallows alone did not qualify.   They helped clean everything up and agreed to some penance (eating the remaining oats cereal without marshmallows this weekend).   I was proud of their initiative and cooperation I told them, but next time do it on a weekend, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment