Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Ubered

Today I did something I’d never done before: I used Uber.   I’ve ridden in, how is it you say it, “an Uber”?  Who knows, at any rate, I’ve been in Uber rides before but I’ve never installed the app or called an Uber ride myself.   Heck, my father, who’s in his eighties, uses Uber.   I just hadn’t gotten around to it.

I was having my car cleaned for our upcoming trip to visit my brother-in-law’s family.   My husband had dropped me off at my next stop but was then busy doing work with a client—a very slow client that takes a long time to look at each house due to the husband having a walker—so there was no relying on him to get me home.   So I installed the app.

I was two miles from home and it was mid-day during a weekday.   I had no idea how long I’d have to wait for a ride to arrive but the six minute prediction was almost faster than I could get out of the store and wait in the parking lot.  

I got home and messaged the shop to find out if my car could be ready early so I could get to a meeting for my son’s school and they said they could swing it.   I had had fun talking to my Uber driver the first time so I called another Uber and was over to pick up the car fifteen minutes later.  

Honestly, why haven’t I don’t Uber before now?

The Big Boy Update:  Uncle Jonathan and Margaret came to visit this afternoon.   My son was very excited to show Uncle Jonathan Fortnite.   Fortunately, Uncle Jonathan had brought his Nintendo Switch with him so the two of them could log in and play together.   They loaded up Playground mode and my son proceeded to tell Uncle Jonathan everything he needed to know about the game (as seem through the eyes of a seven-year-old).   The one thing my son didn’t like was when Uncle Jonathan would shoot him from time to time.   That wasn’t what he was suppose to be doing.   Only then he’d as Uncle Jonathan to stand still as he pulled out his purple sniper rifle so he could shoot him  In the head.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I had an idea today.   I connected my daughter’s Orbit braille machine to my iPhone.   She’s been wanting to type a lot and I told her maybe she could send text messages.   I brought up the message chain with her Braillest and she typed, “This is Reese.   I want to see you.”   She knew how to backspace and correct errors and how to confirm the line (which was the same thing as pressing send for the message.   Then she wanted to send Nana and Mimi messages.   As she was typing her second message to Nana, my mother-in-law started to respond.   The phone (with Voiceover currently enabled) spoke to her and said, “Nancy is typing”.   My daughter said in an excited voice, “whaaaaaat?!?”   I told her Nana was responding, that that’s how text messages worked sometimes.    She and Nana had a short conversation and then she did the same thing with Mimi.   It was so exciting to watch.   My blind child who can’t see anything at all on the phone was typing messages and responding to people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment