Tuesday, July 17, 2018

127

My daughter has been going to Detroit with either my husband or me fairly regularly since 2015.   We’ve only stayed at one hotel ever since that very first visit.  It’s about a twelve minute drive to get to the hospital and Dr. Trese’s office and there are probably closer options, but this particular Mariott Courtyard works for us.

For a long time we had one night manager we would see evert time named Susan.   She loved my daughter and my daughter loved her.   Susan would have candy and little things for my daughter and she knew where we liked to stay in the hotel.   It’s not the same without Susan.  

But we still like to stat in the same hotel room.   When we arrive either my husband or I will ask if room 127 is available.   It’s right by one of the external entrances which makes getting in and out of the building easier and it’s on the first floor.   But more importantly, it’s right beside the pool.   And that’s the most important thing to my daughter.  

When we arrived on Sunday I asked about room 127.   The person at the front desk remembered us  and even though it wasn’t quite ready, she was able to get us into the room, saying it was coincidentally the only room on the first floor still available as they were sold out for the night.  Room 127 is almost like home to us when we’re in Detroit.

My daughter loves the food at the cafe in the hotel, which my husband and I aren’t that keen on.   This time it had been several months since we’d been and there was a potentially catastrophic change at the hotel—the Cafe had changed all their food.   That meant the rather meh pizza my daughter loves was no longer available.   And the chocolate chip muffin she looks forward to for breakfast wasn’t served anymore.  

I rather liked the food changes, but I was afraid she would take exception to her favorite foods being gone.   But she rolled with it, having a cheeseburger for dinner and some banana nut bread for breakfast.   And since she rarely finishes anything, this worked for me as I had something to eat that I didn’t consume just to keep from wasting food.  

We’ve left Detroit now without a known return date, but we’ll go even sometime in the future I’m sure given the state of my daughter’s eyes.

The Big Boy Update: After dinner tonight my son said to me, “this is how I throw a baseball”. And then he showed me a great baseball throw from stance to follow-through.  He’s been to one baseball game, but he picked it up without ease.   We might need to look into getting him onto a team if he keeps up this level of interest.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has been very understanding about the new drops we have to do six times a day.   As I’m wriiting this I’m realizing we’re a round of drops behind.   Her new grey drops are yellow and viscous but apparently they don’t sting because she’s not bothered by then at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment