Monday, July 23, 2018

Memory

My daughter has a very good memory.   Perhaps all children do, but my daughter seems to have an uncanny ability to remember all sorts of things.   She has a mind value she pulls things out of that surprise us sometimes.

My husband decided to test her today after she suddenly started talking about something we had to eat for dinner weeks a long time back.   My husband asked her, “what was it we had for dinner with Nana and Papa on the Fourth of July?”  We were at an outdoor festival where each of us waited in a different food truck line.   And she remembered it all.

So my husband asked her if she remembered what we had to eat at the State Fair—which was last October.   She rattled off what each of us had, describing some things she didn’t know the names of, like the crawfish tails I had.   He and I looked at each other as she listed thing after thing we each ate.

Then she said, “what day do you want to talk about?  Do you want to talk about 1939?”   And my husband and I laughed.  Out loud.   She said it so matter of factly, like she had it all cataloged in her head, back to before she was born.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son has anxiety issues over doing his homework.   Specifically, corrections to the homework.   He will spend forty-five minutes agonizing over starting, because he doesn’t want to have corrections.   It’s preventing him from starting the work, even though when he finally does, he completes it fairly quickly.   Hopefully we can help him work through his anxiety so he can get back to doing other, more fun, things in his life (like playing Fortnite.)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter wanted Kona Ice this week.  A lot of Kona Ice.   In years past, the Kona truck had been parked at the house her at my brother-in-law’s house (they own a Kona Ice franchise).   The lack of truck this year has made her a bit sad.   Today we went to their warehouse.   My daughter went inside the Kona truck and had multiple Kona’s, making up her own flavor names as she combined syrups onto her ice.   She is, finally, I think, satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment