Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Eighteen Dollars Worth

My husband picked the children up early from rock climbing camp this afternoon to take them to their Integrative Therapist (otherwise known as a life coach).   The children had back-to-back sessions with Liz which left the question of what my husband would do with the one child while the other child was in session.

We had some things we needed from the grocery store and since there was a Whole Foods right by her office, that’s where my husband and son went while my daughter took the first hour.  I called him a bit after they had gotten to the store and heard my son’s very happy and boisterous voice in the background.

While my husband and I talked about potential dinner plans we were interrupted as my husband told my son that no, we didn’t need more than five pounds of apples or that we already had blackberries at home or that he wasn’t sure where the mangos were, etc.    Apparently my son wasn’t in a good mood, probably due to missing snack at camp, but his mood changed as soon as he had the sugar influx of gelato from Whole Foods.

Dinner’s main item had been decided already by my son, I was told, who had selected swordfish.   I don’t think my son had had swordfish before but it’s my husband’s favorite fish, so there could have been influence on selection.   But it mattered not, swordfish we were having.

When the children got home they went out on the deck and shucked the corn ears, being sent back multiple times to get all the silks off.   My husband was going back and forth to the iPad, working on seasonings (which he nailed as there were zero leftovers).

My son started eating before the rest of us, asking for a plate of swordfish for, “my first plate”.   By the time the rest of us were served my son was through his broccoli and his second round of swordfish and was asking for more.   I gave him half of mine while my husband said to my son, “I think you’ve eaten eighteen dollars of swordfish already; save some for the rest of us.”

Whole Foods has good fish, although it can be more expensive.   But I think if you asked my son he’d tell you it was worth it.

The Big Boy Update:  My husband told my son at dinner to lean over the table when he ate so he didn’t get his brand new shirt dirty.   My son, who was wearing his Imagine Dragon’s concert t-shirt from last Thursday replied, “it’s not brand new.  It’s a week old.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicle:  My daughter was so angry at dinner.   Irrational angry and not thinking straight.  She stormed off from the table and complained about where her purple ball was.   She loves the purple ball.   After she found it she bitterly complained about still being hungry.   We were offering her options but she wasn’t responding.   I didn’t wouldn’t have thought it was possible, but she’d fallen asleep on the ball.   She stayed asleep while we cleaned up dinner around her, making all sorts of clattering noises.   I carried her upstairs to bed when we were done.  


No comments:

Post a Comment