Thursday, July 26, 2018

Embarrassed

I remember being embarrassed as a child a lot.   It wasn’t when I was as young as my children are now, I don’t think I understood the concept well then but by the end of elementary school I could be embarrassed by something as simple as someone pointing out the brand of my jeans was ‘Calamity Jane’ and then laughing.  

That’s a true story and one I have no idea why I remember aside from the fact that I had a crush on the guy who said it.   It didn’t get any easier in junior high school and high school wasn’t much better.   College was less intense as I found a peer group that didn’t care at all about what the other people at the college were doing.

Then I started working as a co-op and was the youngest person around older professionals.   Perhaps my inexperience in work and life made me uncomfortably embarrassed on a regular basis.   I was well-liked and friends with everyone, but there’s that little bit in your head that says you should have done this thing cooler or you definitely shouldn’t have opened your mouth and said that.

I don’t know when it ended, but I can’t remember the last time I was embarrassed.   I regret saying or doing things from time to time, but for the most part, I just don’t care what people think.   I’m thinking this is not an uncommon phenomenon which is otherwise known as, “getting old”.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is still allergic to some food-based things.   We know he has an allergy to peanuts, pecans and walnuts, all of which are not life-treating, just itchy with possible hives.   But there are sometimes when he has a reaction and it can’t be pinpointed to one of those as ingredients.   Tonight at dinner at a restaurant we’ve been to many, many times before, he ordered several new things.    Just at the end of the meal he said his upper lip was itchy.    We went to the car where I keep the Benadryl and caladryl and he was fine in a few minutes.   It never stopped him from running around in the parking lot.   Whatever it was was on his right hand because he scratched behind his right knee and transferred the reaction there.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicle:  Tonight my parents came over for dinner after being out of town for several months.   My father said to my daughter, “you’ve grown a foot since the last time I’ve seen you.”   My daughter said in reply, “I guess I need another shoe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment