Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Marathons Are a Lot Like Birthdays

Good grief, I’m running a marathon on Sunday.   Before I ran my first marathon or my first half-marathon or even my first 5K race I was thinking about it, planing for it, worrying about it, checking the weather and talking about it.   Maybe marathons are a lot like birthdays, the more you have, the less excited you seem to be.

I may have to set a calendar reminder on Saturday so I’ll remember to eat all day long.   I might even put one on for Friday too but I haven’t decided yet.   Saturday is also my daughter’s birthday.   We have her birthday party with four grandparents in town and then I’ll go to sleep, hopefully full of cake, and get up for the race early on Sunday morning.

Speaking of, I don’t even know where the race is.   It’s local and my best friend told me today that packet pickup was on Friday and should we carpool.   I suppose I’ll find out more in two days.   Hopefully this will be my last marathon for a while.   I’d like to do some half-marathons and work on our speed more than doing another marathon.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had had a bad dream the other night.   He came downstairs and didn’t want to talk about it.   But he did want to know, “mom, can I be an astronaut?”   After telling him yes, he could, he decided he wanted to go immediately upstairs, back to his bed but would I come with him.   He was having the “big numbers” thing going on in his head that’s been happening lately and distressing him.   He asked me to tell him The Boy Who Cried Wolf story but stopped me after a few sentences.   Then he asked me to sing to him but again, stopped me a few lines in.   Finally he asked me to tell him a story about snow.    That seemed to calm his mind because he was asleep less than a minute later.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter confidently informed me, “I don’t like daddy, do you know why?   Because I love daddy.  And myself too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment